General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord EX Rack Centering Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Default 96 Accord EX Rack Centering Help

I bought a reman rack to install in my 96 Accord EX,4 cylinder. I am unsure how to center the rack to the U joint under the dash to steering column.

I followed the instructions to have the drivers side tie rod all the way in to ease install,and now that I have the rack bolted and center shaft through the floor,Im a little stumped.

I watched that video on youtube but my steering column does not have a clock spring center indicator which may help me to see if I have it right or not.

Can anyone tell me way to get the rack centered correctly before I hook the U joint from the shaft back on there?

I did however,when i took the steering column cover off,I found these 2 plastic markers and a line on the side,and when you turn the steering wheel a certain way sideways,these markers align up.

I am not sure if thats also what Im supposed to use as a guide.Thanks for any info.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Well,I think I got it figure out somewhat.I decided to leave the steering wheel shaft U Joint unhooked and install the outer tie rods onto the rack.Then I adjusted the tie rods until I felt both wheel knuckles were pointing as straight as possible and this gave me the center I was looking for.

Btw,after I did this,I went into the car,I noticed the steering shaft dimple that has pink paint inside it,was facing straight up centered.

Then I installed the steering wheel U joint and keeping the wheel centered as straight as I could,onto the steering shaft.Now when turning the steering wheel,both sides take the same amount of turns lock to lock.

Im going to bolt it all back up and after Im done with a few other jobs,get an alignment when its running.However,if anyone has any tips or suggestions I may need to make sure I did not do anything incorrectly,please let me know.

THanks!