General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 ACCORD jetting slightly sideways in rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Default 96 ACCORD jetting slightly sideways in rear

Hi Im Kim This is gonna be a little long and maybe hard to understand...here goes:

I have a 96 Honda Accord EX Anniversary Edition.

December 9th I hydroplaned it because of this concrete divider thingi that was like a foot wide and an inch high, and smacked the adjacent curb. (Miraculously, didnt flip the thing on this huge curb)

I didn't hit the body on anything, just the back driverside tire. (which means the front was airborn for a minute since front tire didnt hit) I wanna say we hit it at about 35mph, we spun so no idea.

I brought it to Honda (fiance is a tech there) The wheel was sideways.
Of course we replaced nearly everything including:
- ALL the control arms, upper lowers, and trailing arms, bushings.
- Knuckle and bearing
- Both rear shocks and struts.
- New rim and tire on driver side

Before repairing the bearing/knuckle, it WAS still un-drivable.
Upon repairing all that, its drivable but the car feels like it jets sideways in the rear when you hit a bump. If I hit a divot in the road thats equal to my driver side, and pass side tires, theres no hop sideways (if that makes sense)

Both rear wheels are straight, but the alignment is skewed on the driver side.
We've tried adjusting the toe in the back, but it wont let us align it anymore than what its at:

REAR DRIVER:
Camber: 0.5 (specified range is -0.9 to 0.1)
Toe: 1.9 (specified range is 0.0 to 0.16) < Which IS WAY OFF.

REAR PASS:
Camber: -1.1 (specified range is -0.9 to 0.1)
Toe: 0.06 (specified range is 0.0 to 0.16)

There is only one thing left to fix in the rear, and thats this TINY almost non-existent less than a quarter inch indent in the sub-frame.

So what it comes down to, is Im told from Honda, that the actual CARS FRAME isnt bent, the subframe is very slightly bent.

Would this cause the car hopping? Its not too bad, its just nerve racking at high speeds and seeing a pothole, eek. (Obviously is would cause the bad alignment if the control arms are attached to it) Is the hop due to the alignment?

Im looking to either get it banged out since it isnt that bad, or replace it with another accords subframe.

Help? Friendly input? Suggestions?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

The rear camber on your generation Accord is generally non-adjustable unless a camber kit is used, or what some owner's have done by using high grade bolts and washers. The camber on both sides should be the same. See this link for how the washer trick is done:

5th gen accord rear camber washer trick guide and how to - Honda-Tech

The rear toe must be corrected to keep the rear end stable.

I don't really have much more info. to give you.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM

If you fiance is a tech he should know. a bent subframe can cause all sorts of havoc. You need a competent body shop to straighten the subframe out. The car isn't safe to drive in this condition.