General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord No starting issue troubleshooting dilema

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Default 96 accord No starting issue troubleshooting dilema

My issue began when i turned on my "kill switch"to store my car for a few weeks. I returned to her and she would not start. Battery is fairly new because i had to buy one after i drained it when my alternator decided to go out on me and had it fixed. I had my starter checked by a shop and it was good, i also have a new relay (normally open) brand new in place.THe only way my car would start is by jumping the starter by placing screwdriver between the metal contacts. I also disconnected my clutch safety switch(manual transmission) and paperclip jumped that connector to see if the switch is the issue...NOT IT. Everytime i turn the key on everything works, fuel pump primes, all gages,radio, dash lights work,etc, except no start. I also turn my kill switch on or off(i forgot)which way it goes but i just would not start. I am not sure where to go next, My question also would be is, if this issue started with my kill switch,how do i bypass that? I am not sure what the kill switch does in terms of what it kills to prevent starting the car? it is a dumb question but does it kill just the power between the starter and the battery? I do not want to keep starting my car by a screwdriver,it looks like im stealing my own car. I would gladly appreciate any help from the experts here. Thank you.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by trukid21
My issue began when i turned on my "kill switch"to store my car for a few weeks. I returned to her and she would not start. Battery is fairly new because i had to buy one after i drained it when my alternator decided to go out on me and had it fixed. I had my starter checked by a shop and it was good, i also have a new relay (normally open) brand new in place.THe only way my car would start is by jumping the starter by placing screwdriver between the metal contacts. I also disconnected my clutch safety switch(manual transmission) and paperclip jumped that connector to see if the switch is the issue...NOT IT. Everytime i turn the key on everything works, fuel pump primes, all gages,radio, dash lights work,etc, except no start. I also turn my kill switch on or off(i forgot)which way it goes but i just would not start. I am not sure where to go next, My question also would be is, if this issue started with my kill switch,how do i bypass that? I am not sure what the kill switch does in terms of what it kills to prevent starting the car? it is a dumb question but does it kill just the power between the starter and the battery? I do not want to keep starting my car by a screwdriver,it looks like im stealing my own car. I would gladly appreciate any help from the experts here. Thank you.
I think you need to figure out what exactly you're killing with the "kill switch". Is it just interrupting the starter power (not giving 12 volts to the small wire on the starter by creating an open), or is it grounding out power to the ignition coil? Once you figure out those, then you can move on to fixing it.
Basically you need to know how it's wired in. In theory you could jump the terminals on it, and see if that does a quick fix to it. If not, maybe unplugging it might fix it. Like I said you need to figure out how it's wired, and what it's "killing". From the sound of what you're describing above, it's breaking the connection to the small wire.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:40 PM

Thanks Toecutter with your reply. I am not sure how it was wired because a friend of mine a long time ago wired it for me when i was living in an apartment not wanting my car get stolen. My guess is that it is interrupting the power to the small wire. A few years back,i had an issue were i had a hard time starting my car,so i had a starter shop mechanic check it out and he discovered that i was only getting about 5 volts on my starter wire so he rigged up a jumper wires with fuse and relay from my starter to the battery,hence where the normally open relay plug plays in. At first i though my relay(after having my starter checked)was dead so bought a new one. Not realizing that it was a normally closed relay, each time i plug it in my car wanted to start, my bad. I wonder if i should removed my kill switch by cutting the wires from the switch and rewiring it together or just leave it open and tape the ends? I am not good at electrical stuff if you already have guessed:-)

"In theory you could jump the terminals on it, and see if that does a quick fix to it. If not, maybe unplugging it might fix it." could you please explain what you meant by this? thank you.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks Toecutter with your reply. I am not sure how it was wired because a friend of mine a long time ago wired it for me when i was living in an apartment not wanting my car get stolen. My guess is that it is interrupting the power to the small wire. A few years back,i had an issue were i had a hard time starting my car,so i had a starter shop mechanic check it out and he discovered that i was only getting about 5 volts on my starter wire so he rigged up a jumper wires with fuse and relay from my starter to the battery,hence where the normally open relay plug plays in. At first i though my relay(after having my starter checked)was dead so bought a new one. Not realizing that it was a normally closed relay, each time i plug it in my car wanted to start, my bad. I wonder if i should removed my kill switch by cutting the wires from the switch and rewiring it together or just leave it open and tape the ends? I am not good at electrical stuff if you already have guessed:-)

"In theory you could jump the terminals on it, and see if that does a quick fix to it. If not, maybe unplugging it might fix it." could you please explain what you meant by this? thank you.
By jumping the terminals on the switch, I mean using a length of wire with alligator clips on each end and hooking/grabbing the connectors creating a path thru them (making the switch closed or on). By unplugging the switch, you make the switch act as if it's open (switch off), as it might be running to ground.

Another thought (depends on how often you used the switch) is that the switch itself died, and needs replacement (why it's not doing anything).

If you find using the alligator clipped wire makes it start (by passes the switch), then you could just remove the switch and wire the ends that connected to the switch together.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Ok, i get what you are saying. Thank you for your help, Merry christmas to you and your family and have a great holiday!

Old 12-25-2017, 03:37 PM

Ok, i get what you are saying. Thank you for your help, Merry christmas to you and your family and have a great holiday!
No problem. Let us know what you find. Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Default Update

Finally fixed my issue about two months ago,just forgot to post it here. My kill switch itself was good and everything BUT my relay. i ordered a new one online and soldered all the connections and it started! i believe my relay was dead.Thank you for your help Toecutter,really appreciated that.