General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Stalls at low low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Nitin
Unregistered
Default 96 Accord Stalls at low low speeds

Hello

I have a 96 Accord with A/T and it was running smoothly. A couple of days back, I was driving around 40 mph and it suddenly stalled with the check engine light came up. After that day, when ever I go slow the car just stalls with little jerky motion. It idles fine while parked but dies out if I slows down while taking turns or have to stop at the stop lights. I got the car diagnosed from a couple of mechanics, one guy tried setting the idle speed but that didn't helped. He told me it might be a vaccumm leak, but he was not sure either. The other guy checked the computer diagnostic and said it is some transmission problem. The code he told me was 715.

As the problem only started after the check engine light came out, I am not sure if it is actually a vaccumm leak problem or something to do with the transmission. I will really appreciate if I can get a word of advise before I get that thing fixed.

Thanks in advance

Nitin

Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 96 Accord Stalls at low low speeds

OBD2 Code P0715, has a corresponding OBD1 code 15. This codeindicates a fault in the mainshaft speed sensor circuit, wiring, connector, or most likely the mainshaft speed sensor is faulty. First reset the TCU (pull BackUp fuse for 20 secs) and see if the code returns. You can check this code yourself by shorting the Service check Connector, turn keyswitch to ON,and reading D4 light flashes (F-p-ffff = code 15 where F=long flash, p=short pause, and f=short flash).

A 94 Accord shop manual says symptom is hard shifting for trans code 15.

The engine dying problem may not be related. One possibility is EGR valve sticking open as engine goes to idle, and overleaning to stall the engine.

good luck

Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Nitin
Unregistered
Default RE: 96 Accord Stalls at low speeds

Just adding another piece of information to my original post.

I had low fuel but the warning light only came up when the car first stalled and failed repeately to turn the car back on. I could not figure out what happened and got that towed to the mechanic. He checked a few things and told me that I am out of gas. I was embarassed and confused because I was kind of sure it cannot be out of gas (I generally put in gas few miles after the low fuel warning light come up). But I pumped in a few gallons and the car started. On my way back, the low speed stalling problem started. I don't know if this piece of information helps in zeroing on the actual problem. But if it does and you know what might be the reason, I will really appreciate your reply.

Thanks

Nitin

Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Low fuel and code 15 are not related.

Your stalling could be caused by a failing fuel pump. I have heard that it's not good to run fuel level low because pump will pull air and overheat leading to failure. Suggest not letting fuel level get to the warning light and see if that improves problem.

Unlikely to be torque converter lockup per your email. If torque converter lockup was failing to release, the car would stall as you come to a stop, similar to coming to a stop w/ clutch engaged on a manual shift.

Trans code 15 is specific, main shaft speed sensor. If code returns after resetting TCU, then there is a problem in that circuit as explained above.

good luck

Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Nitin
Unregistered

The error code is actually P0750 - "Problem in Hydraulic control unit in solenoid A". I apologize for putting the wrong information in my earlier post.

Can you please give me a little more detail about the error code.

Nitin
96 Honda Accord
111000 miles

Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM

I could not find a Obd2 P0750 code for Accords on batauto.com codes or in my 97 Acura TL manual. That code likely does not exist for Accords. Did you see this code yourself?

Suggest pulling the OBD1 code manually. See batauto.com, honda for instructions. Post back your result for help.

good luck

Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

[sm=smiley20.gif]Good info for the members there TexasHonda..thank You for putting out the right information you always seem to put out.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Nitin
Unregistered

Thanks TexasHonda

I went to autozone and got the OBD scan again...the code is infect P0715......I got confused earlier....apologies again.

Another piece of information, I was driving today, the fuel was low but...little lower than the quarter mark on the indicator. The car was doing the same funny stuff..stalling at low speeds...sometimes loosing power when I tried to accelerate. And after a few miles on a stop sign it just stalled...I tried getting it back again...but no help...went to a gas station and poured some more gas in it...and it worked...drove to the gas station and filled it up to 3/4th of the tank....and slow speed stalling problem went away...not it doesn't loose power when I slows down...even at complete standstill....though I am not getting the same feeling while driving that I used to get...a little hard it seems...and yeah the check engine light (OBD P0715) is still on.

Nitin
96 Honda - 111000 miles

Old 04-20-2008, 07:19 PM

The mainshaft speed sensor fault is unusual, but not unheard.

There is a note in the 94 Accord manual "A code 15 on the TCM doesn't always mean there's an electrical problem in the mainshaft or countershaft speed circuit. Code 15 may also indicate a mechanical problem in the transmission."

Hopefully, your problem is electrical. The 94-97 Accord manual will be necessary for diagnostics.

good luck