General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 A/c Helpe Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Default 96 A/c Helpe Needed

The low side port has a tiny leak at the valve stem where you add freon.I replaced the inside of the valve stem with a new one,and its still leaking there.Its a very slow leak but in a few days the freon will be gone.

So can the whole valve be removed off the line and replaced with a new one?
I think the valve stem housing might have a tiny crack inside of it somewhere.

It looks like it can be replaced,but the guy at the Advance store said that I would need to buy the entire line and hose and I do not believe he is correct.

If I can replace the valve unit itself,where to get it from?Dealer only?Or should the local parts guys should be able to get it?
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if there is a crack on the line,, you need to replace the line..
did you make sure that the valve was tight after you replaced it ????

Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Yes I checked the old valve stem to make sure it was tight and it was.I even loosened it a tiny bit and re tightened to see if it would help before changing it out.It did not.

The new valve stem is in tight and still leaks.I took a closer look and the main valve is part of the metal line,so I would have to change the line to fix it.

Is there any kind of sealer one could use to help seal the valve stem inside?

I really dont want to have to replace the entire line if I can get the stem to seal completely.I did not see any cracks in the line and im just assuming there is a tiny fracture where the stem seats inside the valve,which is why it slowly leaks there.

I also had the dye and the UV light to check for leaks and could see inside the valve around the bottom of the stem it was bubbling out slowly from there.

Will keep ya posted.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I feel your pain been there, done that, seen the movie, & got the T-shirt
The only thing you could try is grab the stem with some tiny needle nose pliers and pull up and twist it around to try to make it seat.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hondadude
I feel your pain been there, done that, seen the movie, & got the T-shirt
The only thing you could try is grab the stem with some tiny needle nose pliers and pull up and twist it around to try to make it seat.
Thanks a bunch! I checked the pressure tonight and it was where I last charged it..used the UV light and did not see any leaks as of now...
It does need to be charged a little bit more,but it is coming out cold,but not as cold as it could be with a full charge.

I have tried the needle nose trick to no avail,but plan to add the freon it needs and then go from there.But was happy as of now,it has not leaked out anymore.I am hoping the sealer inside the freon can is helping.