General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break pads worn out

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Default Break pads worn out

i own Accord 2009 2.4 45000km my break pads both from and rear worn out. perhaps you know the concerns about these pads.

i am just wondering if i can replace the pads with any other manufacurer or for any other vehicle to fit in my car instead of buying from honda because these pads will not last for long time as having manufacturer defects.

appreciate your guidance.

thanks.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Dont forget the muffler bearings...
(what a bunch of comedians)

If it's your brake pads, there's quite a few different brands of pads out there. I like Hawk HPS. You can check TireRack.com for some explanation of the differences. Some are more quiet, some have less dust, some have stronger braking power, etc... What are YOUR priorities?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If you have a famous car with the rear pads going early Honda has (supposedly) fixed this changing to a different pad. How many miles is 45000km anyways (in US miles?)
I just asked the question at a dealer a couple days ago while buying a 2010 CRV. I also have a 2009 Accord and am nervous about it. The salesman played a little dumb although he did acknowledge the issue he said he thought it was with the '07 and 08's? No issue yet with my Accord at 14,300 miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

45k km = 28k miles
That's kinda early, but not really outside of plausible range depending on terrain (mountains?) or driving habits.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Salesmen don't play dumb. They either are or they are not. I have not seen too many that are not, lately. In each of the cases of the last 4 cars that I have purchased I knew easily 10 times what the salesmen/women knew about the car in question.

Originally Posted by dgp1961
If you have a famous car with the rear pads going early Honda has (supposedly) fixed this changing to a different pad. How many miles is 45000km anyways (in US miles?)
I just asked the question at a dealer a couple days ago while buying a 2010 CRV. I also have a 2009 Accord and am nervous about it. The salesman played a little dumb although he did acknowledge the issue he said he thought it was with the '07 and 08's? No issue yet with my Accord at 14,300 miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:24 PM

In response to the OP, I had to replace my rear brake pads at only 33,000 miles. This annoyed me, but we are on an incline drive where I have to use the e-brake on my manual transmission coupe all the time. So... chalked it up and paid into it.

Caution, though. Taking it to just "whoever" is unwise. Either research and replace yourself or ask for Honda's recommendation and just go with it. I ended up getting sold on a "nice" set of Ceramic brake pads and they are horrid. There is so much noise coming from them it's insane. Dealership inspected the brake job and it was botched pretty good by a shop I used to trust. They also pointed out that Honda specifically mentions NOT going with ceramic brake pads with their rotors.

Definitely needed to do more research and just replace them on my own. Live and learn.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Almost A Senior Member

This is certanly sounding very annoying. So, does anybody have the "real" scoop what's going on with this rear brake issue? What I mean is definite years, maybe production runs (by VIN number) etc? I agree 30,000 miles is MAYBE do-able for rear brakes however any car definitely should of had the front go first. If the previous poster put in rear brakes at that mileage I can (and should) assume they have also been through front brakes already - for that kind of miles...almost impossible. Maybe so if you drive around with your brake pedal all day instead of the accelorator (sp) does anyone have any experience with the rears going and having them replace by a Honda dealership? I'm wondering the luck they are having with the change???

Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM

The rear pads on Accords have been wearing before the front pads since EBD (electronic brake-force distribution), which applies more braking force to the rear to lessen nose-dive. My 03 EX V6 rear pads were worn at 50k miles, and the front lasted till over 60k, so this has been going on for a while. Many cars, not just Honda cars, have been wearing the rear pads early since EBD started. Since I don't have any problems with how the brakes work, and I change them myself, I'm not complaining. I can do the front and rear for a little over $100, with oem pads.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Generic Autozone pads work nicely... at least if price is a priority. Since I have a life time warranty I don't really mind them wearing out in only 20k. The shoes on the back have been replaced only once at about 100k miles.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM

Just to follow up on this...

No, I have not yet had to replace my front pads. I'm at 75,500 miles. There's some additional commentary I'd like to slip in, here, but this was about break pads and so I'll just leave it at that.

Originally Posted by dgp1961
This is certanly sounding very annoying. So, does anybody have the "real" scoop what's going on with this rear brake issue? What I mean is definite years, maybe production runs (by VIN number) etc? I agree 30,000 miles is MAYBE do-able for rear brakes however any car definitely should of had the front go first. If the previous poster put in rear brakes at that mileage I can (and should) assume they have also been through front brakes already - for that kind of miles...almost impossible. Maybe so if you drive around with your brake pedal all day instead of the accelorator (sp) does anyone have any experience with the rears going and having them replace by a Honda dealership? I'm wondering the luck they are having with the change???