General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord, worn front brake pads on driver's side only

Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Hondapt
Unregistered
Default 2001 Accord, worn front brake pads on driver's side only

I have a 2001 Accord, 4cyl, 5 speed MT with front disk brakes. The disk brakes are not ABS. I replaced the pads and rotors 4 months ago. At the time the car had 150,000 miles and Idid not replace the calipers. Since that timeand an additional 5000 milesthe driver's side brake pads have worn out. The passenger side pads still have plently of life as I would have expected for both sides. Other than a sticky caliper is there anything else that could go wrong with the brake system that would cause this condition? Note that I replaced the Master Cylinder about 1 year ago.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
hondaac
Unregistered
Default RE: 2001 Accord, worn front brake pads on driver's side only

caliper should be fine.Possibly sticky(rusty/pitted)caliper piston and/or the pads were sticking on the caliper bolts.
At worst it is possible if you hitted a pothole ,it caused the rotor to have a "run-out".To check it require a special tool
called a dial indicator with magnetic base or you can do a rough check by pointing a screwdriver in a steady position
toward the rotor.At the same time, spin the rotor and watch if the rotor move away or closer to the screwdriver.
If so then you need the special tool to be exact andverify with the specs of your car.
good luck