General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to replace rear brake pads and break fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default When to replace rear brake pads and break fluid?

I have an 8th gen Accord (2009) with about 36,000 miles on it. I already had to replace the front pads and rotors due to vibration. I have to take int on for an oil change soon and I want to see If I should even bring up the rear pads as it looks like they still have some padding left but I am not sure when they should be replaced. Can I measure them and if so what am I looking for?

Also should I have the brake fluid replaced anytime soon? Other than the regular oil changes I haven't done any other maintenance besides changing the air/cabin filters and basic stuff. Should probably get my battery checked as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Service wear limit is 1.6mm or 0.060 inches. There are wear indicators that will begin to scrape causing a raspy squeak that is very annoying, so if no noise then pads are likely OK.

Brake fluid should be replaced about every 2-3 yrs to avoid corrosion of brake lines (brake fluid absorbs moisture). You're overdue if never done.

Battery fluid level should be topped.

Not necessary for a battery test, but if still on original battery you're living on borrowed time and it could go at any time. In my experience an old battery tends to fail catastrophically (no start usually when you are least ready to deal w/ the problem). A battery replacement to avoid this scenario should be considered.

good luck

Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

The little screetch-tabs are on the inboard brake pads only. The outboard pads have to be checked by measuring thickness. That only matters if they are wearing unevenly, which can be caused by the caliper-slide-pins being sticky.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes I am still on the original battery and the brake fluid hasn't been changed ever. Goign to do that soon. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Battery fluid level should be topped.
Top off battery fluid (acid) level using distilled water, not more acid, not tap water/not spring water.
Distilled water costs $1/gallon, any grocery store.