General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

???:Found rubber brake piston boot torn while replacing pads, but no fluid leaking ! ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Default ???:Found rubber brake piston boot torn while replacing pads, but no fluid leaking ! ?

Hello again, I just finished my front brake pad replacement & I thought it was just too easy...thats when I noticed the rubber boot surrounding the brake piston to be ripped. I surely expected to have brake fluid seeping out of this rip. But there is nothing coming out. Whats right & wrong about this? Can I continue to drive the car or need to replace the rubber boot asap? Thanks..... a lot!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ???:Found rubber brake piston boot torn while replacing pads, but no fluid leaking ! ?

either rebuild both calipers, or replace both calipers. brakes aren't something to f with.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ???:Found rubber brake piston boot torn while replacing pads, but no fluid leaking ! ?

the outer rubber boot keeps dust, dirt, water , from settling on to the piston ,, if ripped it will allow crap to go into the caliper and piston ( water) thus possibly creating rust and seizing the caliper piston, I would replace it
also ,to replace it ,you DO NOT have to overhaul the caliper, assuming caliper piston works properly ,, you can just replace the outer boot , dealer should sell them ,
it won't cause caliper to leak break fluid ,, there is an inner caliper seal the seals the fluid..

Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Good advice from DH. I can reinforce this w/ a personal experience.

I had a missing boot on caliper piston of a Toyota that would extend the piston to apply the brakes but would not fully retract due to rust on the piston. The result was severe brake drag. I boughta used caliper to replace the torn boot since the piston was quite rusty, and I was unsure if it was repairable.

good luck

Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Question

Originally Posted by deserthonda
the outer rubber boot keeps dust, dirt, water , from settling on to the piston ,, if ripped it will allow crap to go into the caliper and piston ( water) thus possibly creating rust and seizing the caliper piston, I would replace it
also ,to replace it ,you DO NOT have to overhaul the caliper, assuming caliper piston works properly ,, you can just replace the outer boot , dealer should sell them ,
it won't cause caliper to leak break fluid ,, there is an inner caliper seal the seals the fluid..
Sorry to revive the old thread but I have this problem on my 99 corolla but the caliper looks similar to my 90 Accord lx.
Is it hard to replace the boot? Any tips or special tool needed? Any pics of DIY?
Thanks.