General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 EX ABS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Default 96 EX ABS Questions

A while back I had my car diagnosed by a honda dealer and they said the ABS code showed a failed rear passenger wheel sensor. since then the ABS light has taken longer to come on. it used to illuminate when I drove forward 10-20 feet, now I drive for 1/2 mile... not a big deal, but what has me more worried is the test sequence ( I think that is what it was) that the abs used to go through when I first started the car is no more. The chattering from the abs system, no longer makes noise. The other day I heard it for the first time in months... so long ago that I had forgotten about it.

So my questions are.. if I want to try and avoid the higher cost of new sensors, can i use any sensor and splice it with the harness of my bad sensor ( assuming no visible damage in wire ).

Is there a way to test the faulty sensor?

Should the changes to the ABS system ( lack of noise at startup) and delay in the trouble light be any concern that other things have failed?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

I would check the ABS codes again. In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link on getting engine codes. Just count the ABS codes. The abs has a main code and a sub-code. So you get a code 1-2, or something. Post any codes on here.

I would inspect that sensor to see if there is any grease on the sensor and check that the wiring isn't damaged. Check that the two bolts to the sensor are tight. You can also unplug the sensor and measure the resistance across the two pins to the sensor.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Default Resistance on ABS Sensors

Hi PAHonda. Thanks for your reply. I tried to measure resistance of the sensors, both rear, and I could not get a reading. like it was an open circuit. is this what is expected? I think I had pretty good contact with both pins on the sensor wire.

I had already cleaned the "broken" sensor and no luck.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Those circuits should not read open on the sensors. The resistance should be 700-1,100 ohms. Maybe you have to change the scale on your resistance reading on your volt meter?

I would recheck the codes too.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Default ABS Code

i haven't gotten back to re-check the sensor resistance, but I did jumper the abs plug and the code that was displayed was a 4-8, which looks like a rear left wheel sensor failure. The dealer's evaluation had the right rear documented as having failed!!!

I unbolted the sensor and cleaned it up as well as the toner ring. Will see tomorrow if it makes any difference. I did notice that the cable, although it looked fine was hanging and the two cheap plastic clips underneath the car were broken. Maybe that wire got caught on something and was yanked loose, causing internal damage.

I was surprised that there were no codes for the abs pump/modulator because that initial test noise at startup has not been there for a while.