General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Speedo Help/Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Default 96 Speedo Help/Info Needed

My 96 5 speed EX needs a new dash cluster or speedo repair.

The speedo doesnt work all the time and is usually stuck on 20mph.Once in a while,it will kick up and work for a short time then quit again.

The VSS sensor has been replaced a while back and it did not fix the problem.

That said,who is a trustworthy place to have it repaired if I need to send it out?Even If I need to just exchange it?

OR,is there a way I can fix this myself at home?

Is there a common problem inside the cluster that goes bad that can be repaired at home,say a bad solder or something?

I had an 86 Corvette years ago with a Digital dash that was a real POS,but was able to repair some of the circuits at home by repairing the common cracks and problems in the solder on the circuit boards.

Thanks for any info or links that can directly answer these questions.

So was wondering for any info.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if there's a "common" answer, but start by removing the cluster. Since you've done this before (the vette) you'll know how to inspect for things.

- warped PC board so it doesn't make contact somewhere?
- dirty/loose/corroded pins in the wiring harness plug?
- cracked solder joints?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanks!

I was doing a bunch of online searches and found something on another Honda forum...(this one is still best though!)

The poster re soldered all the solder joints on the back of the green ICB (integrated circuit board) on the back of the speedo and fixed it.Another member tried the same and its fixed as well.
Hmmm.

Its an old post from 2 years ago but I believe this will solve the problem.Like the Vette digi dash,on certain warm days it worked...that makes be believe the solder is cracked,and on some hot or strange days when they like it,they expand enough to touch and allow the current to flow again for short times.

Will keep you all posted if this works.May not do this til tomorrow or so,its late but hope to find a cheap fix we can all benefit from.