General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Vtec-Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Default 96 Vtec-Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Can it be welded? or is that futile?

When I took the heat shield off in the engine bay,you can see the crack on the manifold,its about 2 inches long or so.Im not sure what type of metal was used,but if it can be welded closed,I have a friend that can do it.

It is not causing a problem now but would like to fix it if I can,or replace it if a weld is a waste of time.

What say you Honda folks?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

The exhaust manifold is cast iron.

I had a crack in my exhaust manifold and just bought a new one. You can probably find a used one at a junkyard for pretty cheap.

I didn't have the option to weld it, so you can give it a shot to see if it holds. I just wonder if the difference in thermal expansion of the weld vs the iron will cause it to crack again.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The exhaust manifold is cast iron.

I had a crack in my exhaust manifold and just bought a new one. You can probably find a used one at a junkyard for pretty cheap.

I didn't have the option to weld it, so you can give it a shot to see if it holds. I just wonder if the difference in thermal expansion of the weld vs the iron will cause it to crack again.
That has been my main concern.That said,I used to own a 86 Corvette,and I hacked off the air tubes and had them welded closed on the exhaust manifolds.The welds never came apart.Then again,the welds were small circular holes,not a 2 inch long crack.

I do plan to replace this,but if it was possible to weld it,and it would hold,I would do that first for no cost.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Well a salvage yard replacement is probably the easiest/ cheapest way to go.

FWIW, the old Yota 20R engines were bad about cracking exhaust manifolds.
Welding is no good, Brazing is the answer.
I used a rosebud tip to heat up the entire manifold and then the area around the crack to a dull red. Then brazing tip, and fill in the crack.
The braze expands and contracts at a closer rate as the cast iron and it won't crack again.
Been there, done that, seen the movie, and got the T-shirt.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 AM

I would listen to hondadude.

Welding cast iron takes an great deal of skill. Not many people can do it properly.
You might as well give it a whirl anyway though haha. If you are going to have to replace the thing anyway...what do you have to lose?