General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 accord 2.2 wont start after driving around when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 AM
Lightbulb 97 accord 2.2 wont start after driving around when hot.

I have a 97 accord wagon ex with a 2.2 auto. I had the transmission rebuilt about 2 years ago and had them put a starter in at the same time as it died. The trouble started about 18 months ago when the car, after driving it it for a while during the summer, just would not start, had to wait around 45 mins before it would start. Durring this time, when you try to turn it over, you hear a click or ping from the starter, but no start. after waiting the car would start no issues.
A few weeks ago I took it in to have it looked at, I was told it could be a bad winding in the starter, so I had a new one with a new AGM battery installed. Now it is still doing the same thing after driving it in the summer. It also sounds like the battery is bad, when it turns over, although its 12.6v at 780cca.
I just want my car to start normal and no leave me stranded. Any ideas or fixes to correct this issue? Shops look at me like I'm the first person to have this issue and I'm not gonna keep throwing hundreds at it.

1997 Accord Wagon EX F22b1 with Auto Trans 164k.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

It's 20 years old...

Just for the sake of not taking anything for granted, how about the battery cables? I've seen corrosion between the clamp and the actual wire, making a bad connection even when the clamp is tight on the battery post. Same thing for the OTHER END of each of the battery wires. For example, where the (-) battery cable is screwed into the body might be dirty/loose/corroded???

In another bizzare case, I heard about a battery cable that corroded in the middle, INSIDE the plastic insulation. Both ends looked fine, but moisture must have gotten inside the insulation and the actual strands of wire were brittle and falling apart at the low point in the middle of the cable.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Since the starter is accessible on the 97, you can try a voltage drop test from the + battery post to the starter + battery post while cranking. Just hook up your volt meter to those two spots and measure the voltage when cranking. The voltage should be close to zero.