General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord EX starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Default 97 Accord EX starting issues

Hi, need some help for my daughter who's trying to get her car to last her through 2 more years of college, neither of us can afford another car but we're dumping tons into this one. Anyway, as much info as I can remember: she was going to work last week, car just cut off at a stop light, no such problems previously. Started after 3 tries, got her to work and back home later. I went out the next morning, car would not start, turns over like normal, dash lights and everything works, hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on, click afterwards, CEL light comes on and goes off like normal, car just wouldnt even try to start but turns over without hesitation. Did this for 2 days til I could get under the hood. I figured since I could hear the fuel pump, and a faint smell of fuel when continually trying to start it, that I'd check the spark. Actually, I took the cap and rotor off first, they looked used but not bad, still no start. So, I pulled a plug wire and inserted my spark tester (the fake spark plug type), clipped it to ground so I could see it through the windshield, hit the key and the car started right up! Put the wire back in place, car started every time, no hesitation. So, I figured I'd do the general tune-up, put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor AND coil. Car started fine. Daughter drove it to lunch, car wouldnt start after lunch but finally started and she drove it home. She went to school, car wouldnt start when she came back out. After about 15 minutes it started and she drove it home. During this whole ordeal, there are NO codes in the computer, CEL light is off. I tried jiggling the keys with no indication that it was affecting the running vehicle, just in case the notorious ignition switch issue was the culprit. I got a new master relay, put it in yesterday and the car wouldnt start when I tried it, finally started after 4-5 attempts, so I'm guessing it's not the relay. Drove it around, started every time I shut it off, went back to the house, cut it off for an hour, car wouldnt start. Took about 5 minutes of continuous trying before it started. No one in town has an ignitor for the Hitachi ignition, so I ordered one on line and will try that. I hate dive-bombing but I'm really at a loss and frustrated. Anyone that has any advice or opinions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could be an intermittent coil or ignitor. Check DiY section for guidance on diagnosis of coil vs. ignitor. If you don't want to diagnose, the coil is slightly more likely in my experience, but it could be either.

Some just install a new distributor to get both parts (on EX coil is in distributor). A rebuilt distributor can be purchased for < $150 (check rockauto and ebay).

good luck

Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a timing light? That is the quickest way to verify spark to the plugs when the car isn't starting.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM

I dont actually have a timing light handy, I lent it to my father in law for tuning his 70 Challenger R/T, just seemed like the right thing to do! The only time I actually checked for spark, it started as soon as I hit the key, which totally screwed up my theorizin! lol. I've already replaced the coil when I did the initial tune-up. Ignitor is on order, all I can do is pray that's the culprit, not really sure where to look next if that doesnt fix it. To date I've changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, main relay, ignitor is on oredr.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

If the ignitor does not fix the problem, then you will need to determine if your problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. Then you can start working backwards.