General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Default 97 Accord Fuel Issue

Hello.

I drive a 97 Accord LX. I bought the car with a blown motor and swapped it with a good motor out of a 97 accord ex I had for parts. The swap went good, I just had to run a jumper wire for the vtec sylenoid and swap the ecu's, because of the vtec motor going into the non-vtec car. Thats the history if the car. I replaced lots of parts, clutch, timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, thermostat, all the stuff thats alot easier to do with the motor out. I got the car on the road, and it ran and drove great. Its been my daily driver for 3 or 4 months now, running fine all along until this last weekend. I was driving along and the engine just died. No spitting or sputtering to it. My first thought was I ran out of gas, because I was low even though the gas light hadnt come on, so I put 5 gallons in it and tried starting it, and it just turns over and over and over. So I towed it home and started checking everything. I checked the plugs and I have spark. So I pulled the intake hose off and sprayed starter fluid in and it fired up and ran, so that narrowed it down to fuel. Luckily I have 2 other accords with lots of good parts so I can change out parts. So I changed out the fuel pump even though I could hear it starting up, still wont start. I pulled the line off the rail and turned the key on and fuel is pumping to the rail. I changed out the fuel presure regulator that didnt do it. after turning it over a bunch I pulled all the plugs and they are dry so I know the fuel is not getting through the injectors. I would assume its doubtful that all 4 injectors would fail at the same time so Im assuming its either a relay or electrical issue as to why the injectors are not pumping fuel. Im out of ideas as far as things to try so I figured I would post my situation and see if someone else has run into this before.

I hope I went into enough detail about the car and the situation. I apreciate and input.

Zack

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a volt meter, check that the electrical connector on the fuel injector has 12V on the pin of the red/blk wire to body ground (use a valve cover bolt) on all four injectors (or do you have a V6?), when the key is in the II position.

Since you have a parts car, you could just swap out the main fuel relay.

That main relay is really two relays in one unit, where one powers the fuel pump and the other powers the injectors.

You should also check for error codes on the ECU. See How to get CEL codes in the DIY section. You may have a code 16.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 PM

So Ive tested/changed out all of the following, and still the car will not run.

Swapped out the main relay
Noid tested the injectors, they are not getting any signal to spray.
tested the injectors, they are good.
swapped the injector resistor.
swapped the ecu.
checked the crank position sensor.
I had already changed out the fuel pump and pressure regulator.
Checked all fuses.
no trouble codes are present.

So Ive tried all of these and had no results. I have a haynes manual for this car, and I went through the entire fuel injection section and I tried all of the checks they list for troubleshooting.

Im stumped! Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks.

Zack

Old 01-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Here is how the injectors work. They will always have 12V on one of the two pins (the wire that has the same color on all 4 injectors). The ECU grounds the wire that is unique for each.

Use a volt meter and tell us if you are missing voltage on the one side. The other side will get ground from the ECU for a short period of time, so you may need someone to crank the car while you use the volt meter on that side.