General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Default 97 Accord power window problem

Hi guys. My first post. I vowed to do as much home repair as I could with this car when I bought it because I really know very little about auto repair and it is a very helpful skill to have. I have a 97 Accord EX 2-door and I love it.

I've never had any problems with my windows but one morning I woke up for work and noticed the driver side was half down. I got in the car and when I closed the door the window fell the rest of the way down. Later that day I took the paneling off and was looking for the problem. The problem most definitely seems to be in the tension cables coming out of the power window motor (I guess that's what it is). I can't get them into a working position.

I attached some pictures, one of the bad side and one of the good side for comparison. The tension cables are just at the position that they were at when I manually pulled the window up because when the window is in the down position you can't see the lower cable. I've pulled very hard with some needle nose pliers on the upper cable but I just can't imagine getting it as far as it looks on the good side.

When I use the power window I don't hear any strange noises and the motor appears to be working correctly.

Any ideas on how to fix my problem here?
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Accord power window problem-good_window_side.jpg   97 Accord power window problem-bad_window_side.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Replace the window regulator.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM

I actually wanted to take out the regulator completely to look at it but I couldn't remove the glass. I just don't see how it could possibly slide up and out of the door. Any tips?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bendezium
I actually wanted to take out the regulator completely to look at it but I couldn't remove the glass. I just don't see how it could possibly slide up and out of the door. Any tips?
2-10mm bolts hold it to the rail at the bottom of the window.
Then you can remove the glass, rear upper corner comes up and out first.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:01 PM

That's exactly what I tried to do. I'll give it another shot. At least now I know I'm doing the right thing.

Is it possible to replace the regulator and motor without taking the glass out and just keeping it propped up with cardboard like I have now?

Also I'm a bit confused on which regulator to buy. At Kragen they started at $145, Amazon about $80 and ebay motors has them with free shipping for $40. This huge price variation caught me off guard for replacement parts. Any recomendations?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

There is a piece of the door that you have to take off. It is the vertical piece of black metal on the outside of the door. It runs parallel to the window glass.

There is a good diagram in the 94 shop manual which you should download from the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Regarding cost of regulator. The OEM will be most expensive, aftermarket perhaps 1/2 that cost, and used the lowest. I've always used OEM regulators. Most cost me about $90. Check ebay for aftermarket and used.

good luck

Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
kimkeo
Unregistered

get regualator off ebay YA YAY