General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord SE 220,000 Need Full Tune up + Carfax Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Now that was a good thread and will more than likely go on some more..I read
it all and of course I agree with all the help.
You can put a cardboard box under that Honda with bricks to hold it in place and
then you can see if it's leaking there.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The radiator should be filled to the top when cold. When the fluid heats up, the overflow bottle catches the expanded fluid. When the radiator cools, the radiator will draw in fluid from the overflow bottle.

You should get the cooling system pressure tested. I would get the dealership thermostat. You will have less headaches, because the thermostat will open fully at the correct temperature. Better fuel economy, etc like Jim said.
Where can i get it pressure tested? I dont want to pay 200$ for the kit if that's the case i could buy a new radiator

As far as the brakes just sound squeaky no vibrating

i want to make sure i get the right parts
for the distributor cap and rotor
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_p...php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=ACCORD&Label[YearID]=1997&Label[DoorID]=4&Label[GradeID]=SPECIA&Label[AreaID]=KL&Label[TransmissionID]=4AT&Label[SectionID]=ENGINE&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=DISTRIBUTOR+%28TEC%29&ProductID=5&YearID=15&DoorI D=4&GradeID=1444&AreaID=4&TransmissionID=5&Section ID=1&IllustrationGroupID=8332

would it be
Parts: 30102-PT3-A12 and 30103-P08-003?

What is the part number for the Honda OEM thermostat?

I cant find it anywhere or im probably looking up the wrong thing

also this is probably a really stupid question but what section is the Spark Plug Wires under in the System \ Component section of Hondapartscheap.com
I know i said i was thinking about the NGK ones but if the oem is better i dont care bout looks i care bout performance and reliability.

also do OEM Filters make a difference? like the Air Filter?

I really want to have the best i can get for everything

Also i just checked the A/C and Radiator. When i turned the A/C both fans were running. The fans have no degrading look perfect. the hoses however look like they are really degrading.

Last edited by FunkTechNician; 02-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

For pressure testing, you might be able to borrow the tester from place like AutoZone. It's like a tirepump with a fitting that looks like a radiator cap. You put THAT on the radiator & pump it up.

Spark plugs & wires are in a category called IGNITION/SPARKPLUG or something like that. NGK wires are good. I don't think it's a performance thing, more likely it's a lifespan thing.

Thermostat is shown in the WATERPUMP category. Or maybe the WATER HOSE category.

I think Purolator Pure-One oil filters are very good. There seems to be less difference among all the air filters, or maybe I've never come across a cheap-junk brand.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

You have the correct distributor cap and rotor part number.

Thermostat is listed under Water Pump - Sensor
Spark plug wires are under High Tension Cord - Spark Plug

Here is my opinion about aftermarket stuff. Honda has some standard the parts supplier must meet. The aftermarket parts could be better, the same, or worse quality than the Honda labeled parts. If the cost difference is reasonable, I go with Honda parts. For example, aftermarket dist. cap and dist. rotor are $31. Honda dist. cap. and dist. rotor are $40. $9 is not a huge difference to me.

Now the radiator is over $300 from honda, but that OEM parts site says it is a Denso radiator. I went on densoaftermarket.com, found the aftermarket part number, and that site linked me to densoproducts.com. The denso radiator is $78+shipping, so a $200 savings. The Denso spark plug wires or NGK wires are very high quality, and they likely make the Honda brand wires.

My best advice is to do some research. Online sites give you a discount, but shipping can be expensive. Sometimes you will find that the parts at the dealership are cheaper or about the same price.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Wires are found under "HIGH TENSION CORD". Thermo under "WATER PUMP-SENSOR"...