General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 accord SE oil light at 1800rpm and under

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Default 97 accord SE oil light at 1800rpm and under

Back again with another oil system problem. My Accord is running fine with no strange sounds or overheating but now the oil light comes on under 2000rpm when the engine is warmed up. Last time this happened the oil light switch was leaking and I replaced it and that was about a year ago. But it seems odd that it would go out so soon again. There is also no visible leaks anywhere. Oil level is fine. I'm doubtful the oil pump would go from fine to horribly worn in a day. My best guess is the oil light switch is no good or possibly the pickup screen is clogged with sludge or a clogged filter. I've been driving the car with no suspicious sounds or anything. The light comes out when I throttle down when it's warmed up and then when I accelerate it blinks indicating oil pressure has recovered.

Any ideas? What's the most probably cause here?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM

how many miles are on the car? Is it VTEC, F22 or C27? I never trusted my oil light sensor so I put an electronic gauge on it so I can see my pressure at all times. Might be beneficial for you.

This is one reason I don't like "warning" lights, they only give you a piece of the puzzle. It is possible the unit is failing or your pump is loosing efficiency.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM

I have the non vtec f22 engine. Roughly 210,000 miles but the speedometer stopped working at 202,000 so I can only guess. I have had the sensor fail before in march of this year. I wanted to put in an actual guage so I can know what the health of my oil system is but there ain't to many easy ways to get any wiring or tubing through the firewall. I doubt my oil pump is failing especially since it was fine the day before and now suddenly I have no oil pressure up to 2000rpm i would rent a pressure tester but without a lift and my fat hands its hard to finagle my way up to the sensor.

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
how many miles are on the car? Is it VTEC, F22 or C27? I never trusted my oil light sensor so I put an electronic gauge on it so I can see my pressure at all times. Might be beneficial for you.

This is one reason I don't like "warning" lights, they only give you a piece of the puzzle. It is possible the unit is failing or your pump is loosing efficiency.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Getting the wires through the firewall is pretty easy actually. If you feel up to it and want it, this isn't hard to do. And I can probably give you some pointers.

Guessing that its not the oil pump then it points to a faulty sending unit for the oil light. Which can and does happen (as you have experienced before)

No way to know for sure unless you replace the sender or do a pressure test.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM

The sensor I bought has a lifetime warranty so I suppose I will just swap it out for a new one for now and any future worries I will have to switch to a guage. I couldn't find any simple spots to pass any wiring through when I was putting in a train horn. I had to route a wire under the splash guard in the wheel well. Is this spot you mention relatively easy to get to? If so I will have to keep it in mind for any more projects that involve going in or around the firewall.

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
Getting the wires through the firewall is pretty easy actually. If you feel up to it and want it, this isn't hard to do. And I can probably give you some pointers.

Guessing that its not the oil pump then it points to a faulty sending unit for the oil light. Which can and does happen (as you have experienced before)

No way to know for sure unless you replace the sender or do a pressure test.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM

sounds like a good plan.

No, there are several pass throughs around where the throttle cable goes though the firewall. They are just rubber grommets you need to poke with a wire or something to open them up.