General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil light and replacing oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Default Oil light and replacing oil pump

For maybe a month or so now the oil light on my 97 accord will come on sometimes. Mostly after a long trip and when my wife drives (she is a little harder on the car than me).

I have checked the oil and changed the oil but still happens. Also seems like when it comes on the engine about wants to cut off. Like it is loosing compression.

I have talked to a couple people and looked at some other internet sites and it sounds like the oil pump is going bad. Does that sound right or should I be looking at something else?

My next question is. If you guys agree it is an oil pump how hard is it to put a new one in. I talked to the guys at the local auto store and they said pull the oil pan off and you can see it in there and unbolt the old one and put the new one in. I haven't pulled the oil pan off yet.

However, I was looking at the manual and it was talking about changing the oil pump after changing the timing belt. Is that right? Can I replace this oil pump simply or is it harder than changing the timing belt?

Thanks so much.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Default What engine?

Is this a 4 cylinder or 6 ? How many miles on engine? Do you have service records from when car was new. How's the dipstick look. Is it tarnished. Any signs of sludge. 4 cylinder engine ..not as simple as just dropping oil pan. I dont think its the oil pump. low idle rpm can cause oil light on 6 cylinder easyer than a 4 cyl. Look at the D.Y.I section for directions. But..as A Honda tech for over 20 years I can count on one hand the number of faulty oil pumps ive seen. sending unit could be fault. need more info.:

Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM

It's a 4 cylinder with about 220,000 miles. I have have the car for about 10 years so i know what the maintenance record is.

Is that the difference with the oil pump (6 cylinders are above the oil pan on bottom of engine and 6 cylinders are on top?, I doubt this is the case but I don't know)?

I hear you on the oil pump. You think I need to look at the idle? I will check the manual to see what it says.

Thanks again

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If car cranks and idles w/o any knocking (ever hear brief engine knock after an oil change?), then oil pressure is likely OK.

The suggestion to check the oil pressure switch (on at a few psi set point, and off below set point) is most likely fault. This is a fairly common item to fail. Oil pressure switch is on back side of engine near the oil filter.

good luck

Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Thanks
Do you have to just get a new switch and replace it? What does the switch do?

When you say it is near the oil filter, is it below it or beside it o under it? What does it look like? Do I just pull it off and put a new one in?

Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Switch closes and turns oil pressure light on if pressure drops below a preset level, usually a few psi. If oil pressure is above preset, then switch stays open.

Oil pressure switch is slightly above and right of the oil filter (if you're underneath looking up).

It looks similar to a small spark plug w/ small single wire connecting pin. It must be installed w/ a special socket large enough to swallow the unit w/o damaging the connector pin. Use socket to remove old and install new.

Download the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum and check Engine Lubrication section for pics of location.

good luck

Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM

I took the car down to the local auto parts store and they ran an obd reader on it.

It had a pending P0505 which is Air Intake Valve.
Part is $193

I cam home (haven't bought part yet). And looked at manual about this part decided to see if I could test it or pull it off.

Book says to pull the switch for the valve after running at 3000rpm for a bit.
I did this and when I pull the plug on the intake valve the engine cuts off. Does that mean the valve is bad?

If I have P0505 does that mean the intake valve is bad or could it be something else?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

That code lists the idle air control valve (IACV), the FITV, or the throttle body as a culprit. You may want to clean the throttle body and both sides of the throttle plate. There is a DIY writeup about cleaning and tightening the FITV. There is also a screen on the IACV that can get clogged up with carbon.

This code is for an idle problem. The only way I can see this causing the oil pressure light to turn on is that the rpms get low enough that the oil pressure is too low.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Look at my post about setting the base idle, over in the DIY section.