General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord VTiS A/T Water Boils in the Reservoir

Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Unhappy 97 Accord VTiS A/T Water Boils in the Reservoir

I had my cylinder head gasket replaced, overhauled my radiator, but then one time i heard some noise in my water reservoir, upon checking, it seems like its boiling, but radiator is still full...what could be the problem? or what causes it to boil? I drive 14 kilometers everyday from my home to office but do not overheat and car runs perfectly, i also noticed that in the morning while engine is running and when i opend the radiator cap water is flowing out in the neck? is it normal? i am worried that sooner or later i might overheat, thanks for the help...
alexandria2010

Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://www.techautorepairs.com/overheating.html

do some reading and diagnose,,,,,,,,,,,did you replace the t-stat?? both fans working??

Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 PM

fans both working, didnt replace the t-stat, in fact the mechanic took it off...in phils. a mechanic will remove a t-stat in most honda accord or any other same year model, they said that it is not designed in our country and they would want the water to flow freely...will it do good or will it damage the engine? could it be the one that causes the water to flow out of the radiator when i run the engine? last night i was able to encounter a 3 hour traffic, didnt overheat, hood was cold, radiator still full but the reservoir level only 1/4. The following still bothers me:
1.) water that flows out of the radiator when i run the engine
2.) boiling water reservoir when i got home

what else should i check?
thanks for the help.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 PM

ei, i think this will help:
thanks so much....

The importance of bleeding. Whenever a cooling system is drained always purge the air from the cooling system during refilling. Improper bleeding may lead to poor fuel mileage, underfeeding and/or overheating. The sensors may not in contact with the coolants and give false readings or erratic readings. This could lead to erratic idling or overheating. And at times the radiator fluid in the reservoir will seem to boil. Air in the system will also lead to corrosion. Bleed according to the instructions for that particular model. Refill the system with the recommended coolant to avoid corrosion or an early water pump damage.

Figure 2. 90-93 Accord.