General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Honda Accord Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Red face 97 Honda Accord Coolant

Hope you guy's don't mind, related to my last post but a different question, so wanted some recent answers.

Just replaced the heater hose to the inlet valve on my Accord.

It blew over the weekend, and the only anti-freeze available at the time was that red dex-cool.

Someone mentioned that is for GM vehicles only. So today I drained the radiator, overflow tank, and when replacing the hose opened the heater inlet valve and did get a good amount of coolant out.

My question is, after the above mentioned draining, is that good enough or should I really flush the system out with water. The guy at the Honda parts shop also said dex-cool is not compatible, and if left in there will cause sludge build up.

Any thoughts at this point. New hose is installed, drains closed, and just ready to refill the system.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

if you got most of it out, that's fine. not gonna hurt anything. he's a parts guy for a reason

Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jerrym
The guy at the Honda parts shop also said dex-cool is not compatible, and if left in there will cause sludge build up.
If, if - this is factual, I'd drain and fill or flush again.
But don't know if factual, don't know how to find out.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard that DexCool doesn't play nice with other types; with possible exception of the hybrid-OAT type. Not sure but I don't think "official" Honda antifreeze is either one of those.

I'd rinse it real good then use whatever type you want. Then you'll KNOW what's in there next time.

At the very least, DO NOT BELIEVE the bottle where it says the long, long lifespan of that DexCool stuff. Maybe it's not so bad if you only let it go for 2 years.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM

Flush Flush Flush.. you could be in trouble as the above post suggest... I have also heard about it sludging up and could be a pain to get out after the fact.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Also..

I have found some of the best info from "parts" guys... they can be at times more consistent in diagnosis than many techs...

but then again.. some are dumber that a box of rocks.. so you have to judge on your own personal assumption.

(and asking here is a good idea)

Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Almost A Senior Member

After draining the radiator, overflow bottle, and heater core/inlet hose I refilled the radiator with distilled water.

Started the engine and revved up for a few minutes then drained the radiator only again, which the coolant still had a red tint. I refilled the system with the Honda blue coolant, and so far so good after 100 miles or so.

Did not have the means to really hook up hoses and flush. Maybe I'll pop the radiator cap and check the color, and if it is not blue do another radiator drain and flush.

Thanks for everyone's input!