General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda accord 97 coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Default Honda accord 97 coolant

Wasup guys im having a little trouble with the temperature of the car, i thought it was the sensor and bought a new one but aparentlly the did not fix the car

symptoms: Well the car once it passes the midway line on the C or H the fans i believe are suppose to turn on, but they are not, causing the car to over heat, i check the coolant water side plastic bottle which empties dayli basically even tho i already checked n theres no leaks, i dont know if its cus it evaporates cus of the heat. Even though when i drive the car sometimes the arrow goes down a bit just cus of the wind which i believe cools the motor.

Anyone have this problem before? i mean i try turning on the air conditioner n that does not turn the fan on either, the AC clutch ended up gettin burned so i disconnected it i live in miami which is a really hot place.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a couple of issues-4 or 6 cyl?. First, are you sure the t-stat is opening. A few ways of checking this, not sure what you've already done? If you jump the green connector on the t-stat housing (4cyl, six may be the same), do the fans come on?

The fans not coming on when turning on the ac (when it was working) can be a sign of another issue-switches, relays, fuses or the motor(s). EDIT: jumping the connector (above) will rule out a few of these but are not directly tied to the ac issue.

The water/coolant in the bottle going away daily is another concern....it is going somewhere. Could be because of the overheating but there could be a leak causing almost all of the other issues.

Last edited by poorman212; 03-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM

This car generally has alot of electric problems, its a v4 btw, also im having problems with the cigarrete fuse i need to use as a car charger, is just not giving out any power

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Any answers? Is there a leak, the coolant has to be going somewhere. There should be a two pin connector on the t-stat housing-green color-what happens if you jump that pigtail plug while the key is in the "on" (not running) position. Still more question but lets start with these.

Is the fuse to the cig lighter blown, more would not work like the radio and that if it was. If you put a volt meter to the cig lighter-very center should be "hot" (+) and the outside shell should be ground(-).