General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 Sedan Driver Window Binds and Doesn't Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '97 Sedan Driver Window Binds and Doesn't Seal

I have another thread in which I rattled off a bunch of different issues but really just focused on the CEL engine and tranny codes. In the interest of keeping separate issues separate I'm creating this thread for the window issues.

Originally, the driver window basically wouldn't go up or down (it would creep, but eventually just give up). I picked up a window motor/regulator from a '96 coupe at the junk yard, but after some research I learned that the coupe and sedan window motors were not interchangeable.

I went to a different junk yard and picked up a window motor/regulator from a four door instead. The window goes up now, but about 2/3rds of the way up it seems to slow down and bind a bit. It gets past that point and goes all the way up, but it doesn't seal in the door properly.

I'm thinking that there may be something up with the track, lubrication, or both.

Any thoughts?
Jake

Attached Thumbnails '97 Sedan Driver Window Binds and Doesn't Seal-jrobida-85615-albums-garage-accord-4166-picture-driver-window-not-sealing-8146.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 01:38 PM

You can lubricate the track and guides with a dry silicone spray, but given the amount of deflection it is very likely that then regulator is bad.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
You can lubricate the track and guides with a dry silicone spray, but given the amount of deflection it is very likely that then regulator is bad.
Hey Turtlehead,

Thanks for the reply! The window sat this way when I got the car in addition to having issues with getting all the way up. I did already replace the motor/regulator with one from the junk yard, which is why I think it might be an issue with the track rather than with the regulator.

When I installed the replacement, though, I did notice that the bolt holes in the regulator where it attaches to the door (not where it attaches to the glass) seemed to be slots/oval-shaped rather than just round holes.

Do you think loosening the bolts and adjusting the regulator side-to-side will help?

Jake

Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

The front channel and window regulator may need to be repositioned.

Attached Thumbnails '97 Sedan Driver Window Binds and Doesn't Seal-94-97-accord-accord-sedan-window-jumps-track.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The front channel and window regulator may need to be repositioned.
Hey Redbull,

Thank you *VERY* much for that diagram/instruction-set. I'll go do that now and report back on the results.

Jake

Old 04-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, so I made the adjustments per those instructions, and the alignment of the glass in the frame has been resolved. However, now the window is back to having power issues. It seems to go down OK (although it seems slow), but it is MUCH slower to go up, even seemingly losing power sometimes. I'm not sure though if it is having problems going up because the track is bent out of shape, or if it maybe isn't getting enough voltage. I took a video, and will post it in a bit if I can get my computer to cooperate.

Thanks,
Jake

Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, here's the video of the window going down and then up.

After thinking about it a bit, I'm not convinced it is a motor power problem since it was doing fine before making the adjustment to the regulator and front channel. If anyone knows the voltage spec and which pin to check on the harness then I could test it with my voltmeter.

Thanks,
Jake

Old 04-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-26-2015, 11:37 PM

Jake,
I don't know what is up with yours on the way up, but mine moves about like yours on its way down both on the way down and the way up. I have not messed with mine at all so I don't know if it is just grease that has gotten old and sticky or what. It works so I haven't given it too much thought, other than "I'll get to that one of these days"....sean

Old 05-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So after watching that video a couple of weeks ago I took the glass out of the door and found that the rubber channel wasn't seated properly. I re-seated it (probably needs to be replaced eventually, and lubed it with some silicon spray and the window is working quite nicely now.

Thanks for all the help!
Jake