General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98-99 vs 00-02 Transmission compatibilaty

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Default 98-99 vs 00-02 Transmission compatibilaty

I have a 1999 2.3L LX (F23A1) automatic transmission(BAXA). The tranny is going out and am planning to swap with used junk yard.

I called two local junk yards looking for used trans. Both places are stating that only 98-99 will work with my vehicle. Price difference is about $800 more expensive for the 98-99 vs 00-02 trans with similar miles.

I called local Honda service tech to see if they knew if it would truly be compatible. They searched for remanufactured trans by year and found that there were in fact 2 different part numbers for the different years. They informed that it would bolt up and fit without any issues but they are not sure what the actual difference is. They said could be something as small as a slightly different gear ratio or as large as different sensors or wiring that may not connect, but again they were only speculating as they are unsure.

All over ebay used trans stating that they are compatible from full year range from 98-02. Im am not sure what the difference is and not sure which way I should go , please help.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

From looking at the circuit diagrams, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the A/T control circuit wiring for the 4 cylinder; so, the wiring harness connectors should probably not be a problem. For V6, there are differences between 98-99 vs. 00-02.