General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord Battery/4 doors/ brake lights all lit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's a white/green wire in the alternator plug. The PCM uses this to command the alternator to shut down, by grounding that wire. So if the insulation is rubbed away somewhere & that wire is shorting to ground, that will cause the alternator to shut down. Check that wire for being shorted to ground.
I never knew that Jim. I'll have to file that into the back of my mind since I have 2 6th gens here.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the great info everyone! Figured I might as well post another update in what is now known (in my mind) as "The Great Accord Saga" Finally got the PCM replaced. (Jim great info about that wire. I'll have to mention it to my mechanic.)
About a week later I was sitting in a parking lot, (drove 1.25 hrs, car sat for 45 min) turned the car on, and it died about 45 seconds later. Tried again. Did the same thing. Restarted the car, threw it in gear and made it home with no issues.

Dropped it at the mechanic, after recreating the issue he said it was my main relay. (which I thought it might be earlier due to other posts about this issue.) He replaced it with no problems picked up the car on my lunch. On my way home my headlights didn't work. Dropped it back at the mechanics.
I didn't ask what they replaced, I was just told they replaced a part of the main relay. Picked the car back up, and didn't even make it down the street before the car started shaking horribly (almost like the car needed an alignment shaking) and it died. I put in park tried restarting and the car just wouldn't turn over. I've just called Frank (my mechanic) and he said they think it's the distributor. They are still looking it over but they cannot get it to start either. Any thoughts? All I can do is laugh at this point and shake my damn head.

Last edited by Fr0stypenguin0; 11-08-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the main relay doesn't have anything to do with the headlights.

The car "just wouldn't turn over"... Do you mean the starter did not spin the engine? Or the starter works but the engine wouldn't fire? That's very different for troubleshooting suggestions. The main relay also has nothing to do with the starter.

The "main relay" is simply 2 relays inside the same plastic case. One to switch power to the PCM & fuel injectors; the other to switch power to the fuel pump. Seems real unusual for a mechanic to dismantle a little box & solder individual components, so I don't understand the bit about replacing "a part of the main relay".

A flaky main relay can prevent the engine from firing up & running, but it can't stop the starter motor from running.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Well, the main relay doesn't have anything to do with the headlights.

The car "just wouldn't turn over"... Do you mean the starter did not spin the engine? Or the starter works but the engine wouldn't fire? That's very different for troubleshooting suggestions. The main relay also has nothing to do with the starter.

The "main relay" is simply 2 relays inside the same plastic case. One to switch power to the PCM & fuel injectors; the other to switch power to the fuel pump. Seems real unusual for a mechanic to dismantle a little box & solder individual components, so I don't understand the bit about replacing "a part of the main relay".

A flaky main relay can prevent the engine from firing up & running, but it can't stop the starter motor from running.
As for the main relay, I I thought it might be a blown fuse. All the other lights in the car were working except for the headlights/brights. I thought that was weird. They never actually told me what they replaced around the main relay. it was implied to me that it was a component though. I am going to get answers on this when I pick up my car this afternoon.

Thanks for helping me to be more specific in my wording! The engine wouldn't fire yesterday. The starter WAS spinning the engine however.

As of now they replaced the distributor (which I was told is why the car died/wouldn't start back up).

Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So another update. Apparently the new distributor they installed yesterday failed. So they are getting another new one.Thankfully they took it for a second test drive before I picked it up. As for the headlight issue (which is now fixed) Frank stated it was the connector (??) to the main relay. I may not know a ton about cars but I'm not a complete noob. It's frustrating that I they don't tell me technical terms to be able to look up what they are talking about. Also doesn't help that I'm a girl. *smh*

Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Last update for a bit. I want to drive my car for awhile. I picked it up on monday 11/12/18. Once I got home I realized that my alarm system was no longer working (not factory install). I can still unlock/lock doors using the drivers side door/ unlock switch in the car. What a saga. When I take it back I'll update again. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fr0stypenguin0
Last update for a bit. I want to drive my car for awhile. I picked it up on monday 11/12/18. Once I got home I realized that my alarm system was no longer working (not factory install). I can still unlock/lock doors using the drivers side door/ unlock switch in the car. What a saga. When I take it back I'll update again. Thanks for all your help everyone!
So what did they do to "fix it"?

Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
So what did they do to "fix it"?
This most recent time was to replace the distributor, twice. The first part was faulty.

From start to finish: Battery, alternator (second alternator), PCM, Main Relay, Distributor (second distributor).

As of now the only unresolved issue is my alarm system but the car still un/locks with the key so I'm not worried about it atm.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fr0stypenguin0
This most recent time was to replace the distributor, twice. The first part was faulty.

From start to finish: Battery, alternator (second alternator), PCM, Main Relay, Distributor (second distributor).

As of now the only unresolved issue is my alarm system but the car still un/locks with the key so I'm not worried about it atm.
OK, Thanks for the update.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well. Back again friends. Thought you saw the last of me huh? so since the last update my car has died twice while actively driving. Once was right after I got it back, 20 min drive--stopped for an hour--20 min drive--stopped for 10-20 minutes--while driving about 40 through a residential engine shut off, all lights and electronics stayed on. Second time was very similar, 10min drive--stopped for an hour--20min drive--stopped for 10minutes--engine died right about 40mph.
Interesting points:
1. When trying to start the car the engine will die immediately. (This precedes the drives with engine failure)
2. Once I am on the side of the road trying to restart my car, it always stays running on the third attempt.
3. Lights, radio, electronics are not effected by this random shut off.
I dropped the car at the mechanic's yesterday to try and resolve this issue as well as getting my alarm system back to functionality. Will keep everyone updated as this saga continues.

Quick Reply: 98 accord Battery/4 doors/ brake lights all lit