General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accord Battery/4 doors/ brake lights all lit

Old 12-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Fr0stypenguin0
Well. Back again friends. Thought you saw the last of me huh? so since the last update my car has died twice while actively driving. Once was right after I got it back, 20 min drive--stopped for an hour--20 min drive--stopped for 10-20 minutes--while driving about 40 through a residential engine shut off, all lights and electronics stayed on. Second time was very similar, 10min drive--stopped for an hour--20min drive--stopped for 10minutes--engine died right about 40mph.
Interesting points:
1. When trying to start the car the engine will die immediately. (This precedes the drives with engine failure)
2. Once I am on the side of the road trying to restart my car, it always stays running on the third attempt.
3. Lights, radio, electronics are not effected by this random shut off.
I dropped the car at the mechanic's yesterday to try and resolve this issue as well as getting my alarm system back to functionality. Will keep everyone updated as this saga continues.
If it wasn't for it having an alarm, I'd think fuel, or something fuel related. But, the alarm can make diagnosis that much harder since we don't know what all it's tied into.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Picked up the car. He said he had "no idea" why the alarm stopped working. SMDH. As for the car they replaced my ignition switch and said that will fix the problem. My alarm is working mostly. The driver side door seems to need to still be manually locked/unlocked. I figure maybe some WD40 in case its just 'sticky' from so much manual usage. The true test will come later this week when I take it for short trips. I will keep you all updated.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I think I can close the saga. Everything seems to be working normally again. The drivers side door still chooses when to not lock/unlock with the alarm but as the car is driving well and the alarm still functions I'll take it. Thanks to everyone for your help. If anyone reads this thread later I will include the resolution saga.

Battery, alternator (second alternator, bad part), PCM, Main Relay, Distributor (second distributor, bad part), ignition switch.