General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Accord Ex V-6 Won't Start-Never Before

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Default '98 Accord Ex V-6 Won't Start-Never Before

Hi

I was injured 2 weeks ago, and haven't been driving it for about 17 days. I had a friend start it 3 days ago and it fired right up, ran smooth in idle for about 2 minutes. Today, I went to take it for a drive around my block to see if I could use my arm now (broken elbow). Well now it won't start, turns over but it won't fire. I gave it a rest and tried again and again. Then the the battery (a year old) started getting low. Rather than run it all the way down I just gave up.

The car started and ran fine before this. Is it worth me calling AAA to come and give me a jump? At this point I'm stranded at home anyway with this recovery but I sure am hoping to use it soon.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Try following if you're up to it, be careful w/ the arm.

If Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, get these codes (Check DIY forum for OBD1 procedure) and post them.

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

These checks must be done when No-start condition exists. It will do no good to check when car is starting.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the CEL, Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Hi Tex excuse my typing... i checked what you listed, CEL & other lights would come on for 2-3 secs, then out. iheard no soft click ever. the only clicks is when i turn it over & the battery is dead, so it clicks in sucession. called AAA and jumped it, it just cranks but won't fire at all. the fella could not rate the battery cuz it never started. he left, i tried again NOW the CEL stays on.

i am so new to honda and i don't know what OBD1 procedure means or what to request
in DYI. i haven't a clue where where to begin with that request. i assume this the fuel pump code, right? anyway i'm stranded, injured, and bummed....but will keep up with you're kind advice as best i can.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

The CEL staying on, that is a sign of a bad main relay. Please don't take this wrong but with one arm this might be difficult to test out. See if a friend can help you spray tb/carb cleaner directly into the tb-open the butterfly. Then try to start, should run for a second or two. This will confirm a fuel delivery issue.....most likely due to the main relay.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 PM

poorman212

Ty for that tidbit. I have a hunch that the relay is it as well. I know with my old Audi when I had fuel problems, that was it.... and cheaper.

I've been searching for the relay location online,(narrowed to the driver side cabin) and think I found the part #, although it isn't listed as fuel relay. I will get a buddy to help if I can figure where the butterfly is!

Also thanks for the concern about my elbow... it isn't working either

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Throttle body is inside the box #9 in the picture. The butterfly is the brass plate that opens & closes inside the bore of the throttlebody.

I'm gonna move this to General Tech where it belongs.