General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord starts then quits

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Default 98 accord starts then quits

I posted a thread regarding this in August but problem stopped and of course i as hoping it would go away but it has come back.
Car starts fine but cuts off instantly. It only did it3 times and it was
very hot back then and i was thinking something wasbeing effected on a very hot day but weather is cooler now.
It was suggested to listen to for fuel pump whirring when turning key on. I hear something kind of like water running for a second when key is turned on, so i guess that is pump... the viens in my head starting to explode. Anyway, the problem has come back and I guess it is going to get worse soon. Also, it seems like I get one hesitation in engine about a mile from home or I am imagining it. Always about the same distance from home and no, there is not a bump in the road
Mechanic hinted that it has to be doing it when I bring it in. Hmmmm....or is that a excuse for $$$$$$$$$$

Any ideas of what to look for?
Mechanics cannot tell by some kind of diagnostic test or my description of problem?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 98 accord starts then quits

An intermittent problem is very difficult to resolve, because when you have the time to investigate it's frequently running fine. Only way to narrow the possibilities is to try to be ready to check for problems, when the starting problem arises. This requires owner intervention, or you have to wait on the problem to get much worse

I don't know how handy you are but you can check for an electrical problem fairly easily w/ some simple wiring. You needa small 12V light bulb, lamp socket for the bulb,and about 10 ft of dual wires to wire a "tell-tale" light. Two ends of the wires are connected to the lamp socket for the bulb. You connect one leg of other wiring end to the Blk/Yel wire at the ignition distributor connector using a folding wire splice (available at any auto parts store). Other wire is stripped bare at end for 1/2" and grounded to the body or engine securely at a convenient bolt or screw. The bulb and wires must be brought into the passenger compartment where you can easily see the bulb. Easiest path is through the open pax door and then close door on wires. Note, this may cause a slight rain leak since you are opening a small path through the door weather seal.

Then drive normally and watch the bulb when you have a no start occurence. If the light is ever OFF w/ the keyswitch ON, you very likely have keyswitch problem, wiring problem, or security system fault. If problem occurs and bulb is ON w/ keyswitch On, then problem either is an intermittent fuel supply problem (less likely since you have heard fuel pump when the problem was present), or more likely a intermittent ignition coil.

One of the electrical possibilities which should be uncovered by the tell-tale isan intermittent security system disabling the ignition. If you have an after-market security system, this is a prime possibility. If this is case you will see the power to the ignition interrupted (no bulb light) on the tell-tale.

good luck

Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Hello member foxylady23..
PM our Mr Fixit DesertHonda here in the forums, he might be able to Help you out with your problem..Tell him I sent you !

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it almost sounds like the electrical portion of the igniton switch has gone bad.....Did you ever do the ignition switch recall ???

If you go to our DIY section frt page 4th from the top,, open the post, click on the link

user name = user
password = password

go to the bottom of the page ARRC,, click on it ,, the rest is self explanatory ..( input year and model , click on recalls, , ignition ,,)

Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Deserthonda, after reading yours i figured the first thing to do is call about the recall, since i never got a notice but i bought used. Honda dealer said it has been changed with original ownerbut it sounded like theat was the problem and I could bring it in tomorrow and they would change it again/no charge. Wow! Gotta love Honda service.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Deserthonda
I belive you were correct. Went to Honda dealer today. My advisor was not back from lunch yet and another advisor told me that my electrical switch had already been serviced during the recall and this would probably cost me. I told him, noooooo, other advisor told me to bring it in and they would replace it again free (even though it was replaced before i got car... over 4 years ago)
My guy got back from lunch and told me not to worry and was good to his word and Honda replaced the switch. The bill would of been $178.00!!
It might tak a few days to see if problem is resolved. Love my honda!
Invoice said it was Electrical Portion of Ignition Switch.
Part # 35130-S84-304 in case anyone has a problem similar to mine.
thanks again.H G..............