General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise Control Quits working

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Default 97 Honda Accord Cruise Control Quits working

Hi Guys, I'm new here, I've been searching through the post and I cant find one quite like mine so I'm posting my problem.
Last week the cruise control quit working, about an hour later the speedometer quit working and the next day the check engine light came on. After a little research, I determined the VSS had gone bad. Ordered a new one, and installed it today. Went for a test drive, Speedometer is working again but no cruise and check engine light still on. Disconnected battery and reset the check engine light, out for another test drive. Speedometer still works, check engine light off, but cruise only works for about a minute then shuts off. Stopped at the store and shut car off, when I restart car cruise works again but just for a minute after setting the speed. Then it just shuts off. On/Off switch lights up when I turn the cruise on but it will not set.
Any help would be great,
Thanks

Last edited by tjcollier; 07-13-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added vehical make to title
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would carefully check all connections (vacuum and electrical) to the cruise control actuator on the firewall. Installing VSS requires access near the actuator and it's easy to accidentally damage or disonnect something.

An intermittent brake light switch could also cause this problem, but only after one minute seems unlikely. A vacuum leak seems more likely.

Also an intermittent switch on steering column might cause this problem.

Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord manual from the Online Manuals link in DIY forum. This has the extensive diagnostics for the Cruise Control system.

good luck

Old 07-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Well I'm not sure what I did. I got back under the hood to check all the connections, everything looked good but I did some pushing and pulling anyway to make sure Everything was hooked up and now it works with no problems.
Thanks for the info

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Could be a little corrosion on the connector, or loose vacuum line. Hopefully, problem is resolved.

good luck