General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98 Accord Transmission Issues

So my 98 accord's transmission is acting up. I know that this generation had issues with the transmission but mine never gave me any problems up until now. It's an automatic, i'm at 156k aaaaand all of a sudden she sometimes doesnt want to shift into gear. It depends on the day, sometimes its fine. It started a week ago , I was coming back from maybe a 40 mile trip and all of a sudden after i came to a complete stop at a light, she wouldnt catch 3rd. It goes into first fine, second - fine, 3rd - it whines out to about 5-6k rpms and then kicks into 3rd, and does the same for fourth.
I dropped it off at my shop, and went to work. My mechanic called me in a few hours and said it was fine. He drove it around the block a few times and there was nothing wrong with it. I picked it up the next morning and she drove like a champ. For a week.
LAST NIGHT, she started doing the same thing but this time its worse. Now she pretty much decides which gear she wants to catch. Sometimes she wants to go into 2nd, sometime she doesnt. I had to drive the last 8 miles home last night in 2nd gear at 5k rpms. Wasnt fun.

So does anybody have any useful suggestions?

If the trans is shot, I can't afford a re-build. I bought the car for 3800 five years ago, theres no way i'm dropping 2500 into it for a trans rebuild.
So if it IS shot, is it worth getting a used trans from a junk yard maybe? Would a trans from the previous gen fit in there?
Someone told me this could also be a sticky trans solenoid. Because it was fine for a week and it just started happening again. So i figured if the trans was done and i lost a gear or something, it wouldnt just be FINE for a week.
In the case should i go strictly with a legit honda solenoid or some OEM brand online?

Regards, naz

EDIT: Just got back from the shop, 2 codes popped up : PO740A - TCCC Circuit Malfunction and PO730D - Incorrect gear ratio.

So how ****ed am i lol?

Last edited by fourbanger; 07-10-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

These are not good codes for trans and indicate likely hydraulic problems. Have you drained and replaced trans fluid w/ new Honda ATF? This sometimes does wonders to an ailing trans.

A used trans may be your best bet, but you'll drop probably $1500-$2000 when you include labor for removal/installation. Plenty of used trans available; check ebay and car-part.com for used units.

good luck

Old 07-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i drained the fluids & replaced with honda atf last friday when the issue first started. So replacing the TCC will not solve the issue?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM

You can try to take the TCC solenoid out and clean the screen, sometimes the screen clogged up with clutch material, if it doesn't do the trick then the torque converter is failing, which is common with 98-02 Accord/Odyssey and the trans will need a rebuilt with new torque converter. Used transmission for your car is expensive, about $1000 on car-parts.com, around 4-5 hundreds for round trip the tranny.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

where is the TCC solenoid located? can i get to it without getting the car on the lift? hell i'm willing to try anything at this point.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by fourbanger
where is the TCC solenoid located? can i get to it without getting the car on the lift? hell i'm willing to try anything at this point.
Part Detail we are looking at number 8 in the picture, there is a screen under the solenoid that you can clean it.