General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 accord lx transmission slip/downshift issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Default 97 accord lx transmission slip/downshift issues

i have a 97 accord lx with 190k and my auto tranny is giving me fits. At 1st the d4 light was blinking so i took and cleaned off the shift solenoids and that fixed the blinking part but still have the issues. When the car is cold the tranny seems like it slips doing from d3 to d4 but when it heats up it shifts to that gear fine. Also when at low speeds 15-20mph and in 2nd gear and i continue to press the gas peddle with the same pressue alot of times it wants to downshift to 1st gear. The RPMs shoot way up and then it catches 1st gear and then will shift back to 2nd. I changed the tranny fluid with 3 qts of Honda ATF. I am wondering if maybe my solenoids are bad or the tranny cable may need adjustment. Any help

Old 05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I had a 94 Accord, AT that would slip from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd gear and the rpms would shoot up, mainly when it was very cold outside. Summer time was no problem. Does your car act worse when cold?

My Honda mechanic said the seals wear and get brittle, and when it is cold they do not seal and the tranny slips. Only way to fix was to tear down and rebuild. I did change the fluid, but the filter is internal and it still slipped on occasion.

Ended up selling the car, and my 97 Accord has no tranny problems at this time.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jerrym
I had a 94 Accord, AT that would slip from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd gear and the rpms would shoot up, mainly when it was very cold outside. Summer time was no problem. Does your car act worse when cold?

My Honda mechanic said the seals wear and get brittle, and when it is cold they do not seal and the tranny slips. Only way to fix was to tear down and rebuild. I did change the fluid, but the filter is internal and it still slipped on occasion.

Ended up selling the car, and my 97 Accord has no tranny problems at this time.

Good luck.
yea the only time it slips from d3 to d4 is when the car is cold. When it warms it it shifts okay. I am having most of my issues with the downshifting from 2nd to 1st. I may try and look for a used tranny but dont wanna have it happen again. May end up with a for sale sign on it or just rock it as is