General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Honda Accord Driver Door Will Not Open From Inside or Outside

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Default '98 Honda Accord Driver Door Will Not Open From Inside or Outside

Hi, fiance has a 1998 Accord. We went to store and came back to car to find that the door will not open from outside or inside the car.

Apparently she said that she researched this a bit and found that this is a notorious problem with the Honda Accord? I'm not sure what she found specifically, but she said that she read that there is no way to open the door aside from cutting a hole in the door?

This is no bueno because we have a 1 1/2 yr old that she has to take everywhere... and not to mention she is also pregnant again at the moment , so she cant be sliding in through the window or other door.

Please, does anyone know about this problem? Is there another solution aside from cutting into the door

Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

You have to take off the door panel then make a hook to pull the door latch.

It will be a little difficult removing the door panel with the door closed; but, it possible, as people have done it before. Just be careful, so you don't break the panel.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

This includes door panel removal and door latch replacement instructions:

Door panel removal

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks for finding that!
So is this process similar to this one?:

or this?:
Civic door won't open from inside or outside FIX (no drilling) - Honda-Tech

It sort of seems like three different methods to get the door open.

I'm going to give it a go this weekend if possible. And again, thanks! I have no idea what I would do if I didn't have someone to point me in the right direction

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Just my observation from the video link you included, it is a different generation Accord than your Accord. But, basically appears like the similar procedure.

In that video, he basically destroyed the old latch and is demonstrating how to do it on the new one. It appears he then uses a screwdriver to push on the side not accessible without the latch removed. If it was attempted on the other side, then he would probably have to hook it and pull instead of pushing.

For your car, a hook will probably be what works easiest. The Youtube comments for the video I linked has people saying it works for them on the same generation Accord as yours.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SrQbNaH1wpI"

Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a door latch problem in November 2012 in my '99 Accord 2.2l LX. After installing a new latch+ actuator with good results I decided to disassemble the old latch in order understand how it works. Here's a picture showing the innermost parts which actually lock the door...'98 Honda Accord Driver Door Will Not Open From Inside or Outside-012a.jpgPushing on or pulling the small post will move the cam and release the cam which holds the door striker. There are photos in my album dated 11-23-2012. Good luck!