General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't open door from inside or outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Default can't open door from inside or outside

The green clip that holds the inner handle cable to the passenger side door panel is broken. However, this happened along time ago and I was able to make it work as long as I put the panel on slowly and carefully. For some reason, now I'm unable to open the door from both the inside and outside. I can feel the resistance of the cables as if they were working correctly from both the inner and outer handles. I am also able to lock and unlock manually and with the remote. If I am able to open the door, then I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to fix it, but I can't even open the door. It looks impossible to take the panel off while the door is closed. What do I do?? lol...

I can also hear the cables working near the actuator, both inner and outer...

Last edited by joshcolorado; 12-31-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Put your year/model accord in your signature, so we don't have to ask.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM

I got the door open!!!!

I unbolted the seat and moved it out of the way so I had more room to work with. Then, I removed the panel that the weatherstrip goes under on the bottom, then I removed as much of the weatherstrip as I could. I then used a small prybar to loosen the side of the door trim panel, after which I could unclip the rest of the trim just by pulling on it. Don't forget to take the triangle piece where the side view mirror off or else you can't take the door trim off. It actually took some force to get it off, and I broke two clips. Oh, forget to mention, I don't have the screws that keep the door trim on because I put MLV in there and found that I didn't need them. Anyways, I got the door trim off, then pulled the outer cable and it opened the door. Don't know why it didn't work when I pulled the outer handle, but whatever lol....I also don't know why everything worked after putting everything back together, I didn't really change anything...but as long as it works lol...

my bad, didn't realize I didn't set up my sig on this site, cause I'm also on driveaccord.net
I'll do that right now.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks to the cold weather (and my dumb idea washing it and letting it freeze) - I cannot open my driver's door either. opened it tonight, closed it, and now it's not budging. Removing the panel is a bit trickier for mesince i decided to add a few screws that weren't there originally... and where i cannot access. i will likely have to remove the top half of the door panel only, i should be able to pry back the top half and maybe get down in a bit. added to the complexity of accessing the door are the layers of deadener and panels that seal up the door and cover all holes (midbass is excellent). it will be an interesting project... i'm hoping it's just frozen. we'll see what a few hours with a heater will do.

in my case - it relocks because it won't let the lock **** mechanism raise up. it's seized.

i'm a DIY kind of guy, so i'll tear into it soon. to add to the fun, i'm leaving town tomorrow - driving my car 500 miles north. good thing i'm nimble enough to get out the passenger side!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

got it open. turns out it was just the metal rod that connects to the inner door handle. after removing the screw holding the inner door handle in place, you shift that piece forward and it pops off. i noticed the plastic clip that held the rod in place was now broken. the rod still inserts and now everything works. the metal rod must have been wedged against the handle/housing.

good deal!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

KHA....good to hear....take care on your trip