General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can smell outside odors inside the cab.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Cool I can smell outside odors inside the cab.

Hi,

I have quite an annoying problem with the air in my Honda Accord 2002. It's a 4-Cyl manual.

Whenever i have the air on and it's not set to recycle, i can smell the exhaust from other cars as well as the bad smells that may be in the area. It's that bad.

I have changed the air filter under the hood and the cabin filter behind the dash but no change.

I think this may be some important information: When i took the old cabin filters out the were a ****load of pine needles on the right hand side of the filters (dirty side) and shreds of what looked like foam.

Is there something else i need to replace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elie

Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When non-recirculate is selected, outside air is dominating new air pulled in by the blower motor. You should expect to smell anything associated w/ outside air.

Occasionally, a fuel or exhaust leak in your car will allow these smells to be very strong. Suggest having your exhaust and fuel supply lines inspected for leaks.

good luck

Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Elie Eyebrow
Hi,

Whenever i have the air on and it's not set to recycle, i can smell the exhaust from other cars
as well as the bad smells that may be in the area. It's that bad...

Is there something else i need to replace?

Elie
Elie,

It's great that your sense of smell is still so sensitive/precise that you can do this. The fact that your car air system
doesn't compromise the air enough to defeat your sense of smell is minor add'l plus. Enjoy it before you age more.

Where I live I monthly drive by mint fields and enjoy their scent, but dislike the cattle feed yards that are rarer.
But, since you object to ambient smells then switch air control to re-circulate when you're in the bad smell areas...

The solution is in your hands. But enjoy the problem ... your sensory perceptions are part of your world.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the replies.

My sense of smell has been getting stronger. But the smell is as strong as if i was standing next to a diesel tailpipe.

Just weird that i do not sense this when i am in another car. My former car, a neon did not do that so i find it surprising that an accord does it.

Thanks