General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

antifreeze smell outside of car

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Default antifreeze smell outside of car

Hi,

We have a accord with 36k miles and it has the smell of antifreeze on the outside of the car. I looked all around the engine bay and no sign of leaks, but the overflow canister is getting lower.

We were at Honda today and they said it was leaking in the engine area and would have to take apart more stuff to determine the reason??

It is schedule Monday for this.

Is there an extended warranty for this? I think i may be a cracked engine

thanks in advance

Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

What is the warranty on your car?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

36k miles is the end of the warranty, so be aware of a couple things...

Your warranty is 36k miles from when the car was delivered. So for example if the first owner bought the "brand new" car with 275 miles on it, the factory warranty should last until 36,275.

If it's really close, but over the miles, Honda has been known to cover it anyway as "goodwill". So talk to them nicely...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Well we didnt get the extended warranty. The invoice states 36,240. We bought this used from Montclair Honda certified and it had about 18k at that time.

Invoice states vehicle is leaking coolant back side of engine. They performed a multi point inspect and wash comped. They havent charged us the $99 service charge yet. We have the appointment on Monday so I have to drive this due to my wife drives all over for work and the Honda isnt realiable.. I told her to drive the 2000 maxima stored in the woods and she flipped. Yes we are former maxima owners but as you can see dumped it for a Accord.

In searching I have read that Honda may have a secret warranty where they fix stuff but dont publish it as a tsb, only if you have the problem, is this possible?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure about a couple things...

I don't know where Montclair is. I'm talking about USA warranties & I'm not even completely sure about "certified used" cars.

I thought "certified used" includes a warranty that goes rather far beyond the factory 36k. This isn't an "extended" warranty that you purchase, it's part of the "certified used" package.

If you first bring the problem to them within warranty, it doesn't matter if you subsequently drive over the warranty miles. Same problem, it's covered; for example you drive over the warranty miles while waiting for them to get parts for the problem you brought in under warranty.

I've heard about a couple things where the warranty is extended. It's not a very well-kept secret, and dealer employees have been known to talk about it on boards like this one. One example is 2000-2002 auto-transmission warranty coverage out to some high miles. That coverage would be spelled out in a TSB.

Covering something "goodwill" isn't an across-the-board coverage. It's a case-by-case evaluation, maybe even including whether you've been a "good customer". Sometimes it might even be the individual dealer eating the cost.

Just because something is in a TSB doesn't mean it's covered for free. Some TSBs simply tell the mechanics about a nice clever fix for problem xyz, regardless of warranty or not.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM

First off thanks for the replies because anything helps at this point.

Sorry about the locations but we are in New Jersey and Montclair is just a town northerly of us.

The certified used car statement came from info on the Honda web site where "major engine & tranny components except for normal wear is warrntied up to 7 years and 70,000 miles.

The car goes in on Monday, we are driving it as least as possible. I looked carfully in the rear of the engine and I dont see any leaks or remnants of fluids..

Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I imagine that the engine block would be a "major engine component"...

If it turns out to be a leaking heater hose (for example), then maybe it won't be covered. So rule out the easy stuff first??

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Yes, but I cant stop thingking about it. I stand there with the hood up just hoping to find a leak - nothing, seems I am looking at it and praying alot.

Cant wait to plan normal stuff like a plug change and installing the new tires I got.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM

its covered porous block