General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'98 Honda CRV Front Strut Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Default '98 Honda CRV Front Strut Install Problems

To all you Gurus:
1. 98 Honda CRV, EX, AWD, 4 cyl.
2. Mileage: 235K
3. Front suspension noises

Decided to buy new Sensen struts and all went well on removal. Was unable to compress the springs for lack of the proper strut compressor. Single action strut compressor from Harbor Freight not suited for Honda struts. High Pitched springs too close to each other for all compressor hooks to get into. Took it to Big 'O'. Big O screwed the assembly by not aligning the top mount bolts with the alignment tab on the lower damper. So now I have both front strut alignment tabs broken. I spoke with a tech from a strut outfit who says the tab is only for the alignment. The pinch bolt is what actually keeps the fork and damper together. The indentation on the damper must be in line with the fork pinch access, so when the pinch bolt goes through it makes the correct fit.

Anyone of you ever had a similar exxperience? Should I buy new struts or just realign the damper with the top mount so that the indentation aligns with the pinch bolt of the fork? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks all.