General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 v4 eating engine fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Default 98 v4 eating engine fans

I've got a 98 accord v4 and have lost a second pair of engine fans within the 1.5 years I've owned the car. The factory set failed the same way shortly after I got it. Both fans die simultaneously. Double checked by putting direct power to each at the fan motor and they definitely do not work. Fast forward 4 months since I put in a pair I found at the salvage yard and same thing. A few observations:

-The relay gets hot. Assume this is to be expected when putting power to two dead motors.

-The fuse has never blown. Jumping the fuse obvi doesn't help when the fan motors themselves are bad.

-The car spent most of its life in NY and there is a ton of salt damage to everything under the hood. That being said, it has run like a champ. Have replaced an accessory or two but I cannot complain.

-I'm always seeing sulfur buildup on the positive terminal, even with my new battery. I did diagnose a parasitic drain from the stereo, but its mild. Doesn't kill the battery overnight or anything.

At this point its back to the salvage yard for a third replacement pair. Any advice on how I can deal with this..or certain areas I could focus on to diagnose?

Last edited by miked123; 03-10-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: incorrect title
Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

It's strange that both fans motors went out at the same time. Are you sure one fan motor didn't fail before the other, and you just didn't notice?

How did you supply power directly to the fans motors when you did your test? Did you also supply a good ground to the circuit?

Do the fans run all of the time, or do the fans turn on/off when the engine gets hot? Both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c.