General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling fans turns on after engine shut off

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:01 PM
1stchild
Unregistered
Default cooling fans turns on after engine shut off

hi i am new here and searched around to see if i could find the answer. i think i was close, but not sure. so here goes.

i have a 1990 accord ex (just hit 195K) and after being out in the desert for a week i came home and had to of course wash my car (it sat all week). while in the desert i disconnected the battery to make sure it didnt drain it. when i got home i drove the dirty car for several days after getting back before washing it. then i washed my car and sprayed the engine with engine cleaner and hosed off the engine (might be where the problem started). now every time i drive and stop the fan comes on and stays on for quite some time until it ends up draining the battery. any ideas what could be causing it?

the battery: i think it may be approaching 5 years old. it did have some corrosion on the terminals which i have cleaned off. i have also replaced the cable connectors and check levels of fluids. battery could be dying but...

the fan: passenger side fan is the only fan that turns on after engine shut off. i do have A/C (doesnt work well so i never use it)

i have check fuses, wires, nother seems out of place. i also drained and replaced coolant.

i think i saw somewhere that there is a box under the passenger seat that may have resistors or diodes in it i will check today.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Steve

Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Default RE: cooling fans turns on after engine shut off

In my 96' I know that the fan on the passenger side is for general cooling and the one on the driver side is for AC only. Also in my 96', there is amn ECT switch near the head in line with the upper radiator hose that tells the fan to run when the car is turned off if the engine is over a specified temp. That's probably not much help, but it's a little bit of info.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM
1stchild
Unregistered
Default RE: cooling fans turns on after engine shut off

thanks i will check there too.. maybe while hosing off the engine cleaner one of the sensors got wet or damaged... but it has been a week of this... hmm