General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 v6 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Default 98 v6 transmission question

guys i have a question on what to do. my tranny went in my car. it's beening sitting for 7 months now, waiting on me. Anyway, got a good deal on a 98 accord donor car. It has 140k on it, the tranny has 12k on, rebuilt from honda. I conformed this with the dealer. The bad', the story is the guy let is friend drive it. he was beating on the car and blow the motor up. The transmission fluid is a little dark. it looks more like the tranny has like 60k on it. because i did a tranny flush on my tranny and it has 12k, and even the the tranny is done the fluid it still light in color. Both trannys used hondra tranny fluid. my thought is the tranny got cook also. but i have no wait to check. my thought was to take it out and bring it to a tranny shop to look it over before I put it in my car. I guess my question is can you burn these tranny up that fast by beating on it?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 AM

Please type more fluently so that you post is easier to read. I agree auto correct is a pain, but proper punctuation is greatly appreciated.

Depending on which dealer did the rebuild and what they did to it matters greatly. The reality is that even Honda has not completely pin pointed the issue and I have seen many times the Honda rebuilds fail. The hydraulic ports are so small that if the transmission is not completely cleaned during the rebuild the problem will likely reoccur.

Beating on any Honda V6 transmission is not ideal since they were not built for racing.

Last edited by Turtlehead; 07-29-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM

Sorry about that, yes it is.

The owner went to the parts department at Honda and order a remand one and put in in him self. The price was $2200, I think he told me. That seemed low to me because when I called around for my car, I was getting 3k from a different dealer.

There is a nice size hole in the side of the block. I have never seen that before, well on modded motors and so on yes.

I got a quot to rebuild mine by a transmission shop up the road that dose these transmissions all the time, and they said 2 to 2.5k in and out.

I only paid 400 for the hole car, so I guess I can do the flush and roll the dice on it if i want.

I guess my question is why would the transmission fluid be so dark with those low miles and is that a sign of a problem? ow the owner did say the car has no problems going 138, he's done it a lot.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mikecsti
I guess my question is why would the transmission fluid be so dark with those low miles and is that a sign of a problem? ow the owner did say the car has no problems going 138, he's done it a lot.
I think you just answered your question.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 AM

HAHA ya I did on that part. So I guess what I'm asking is, is the transmission done or about too be? Is it worth my time taking it out and putting it in my car? Ill take a picture of both fluids later so you guys and look at it.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM

I would cut to the chase and get a quality rebuild with a decent warranty. You will be looking at around 3,800 for a quality rebuild plus your labor. I have done I don't know how many of these swaps over the years with good luck on the complete rebuilds. If it/when it fails again if you have a good warranty you should be covered for the part. If you can find a Brenzo rebuild that would be good.