General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 1.8i Vtech 3 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Default 99 1.8i Vtech 3 Problems

Hi im new to the forum and am hoping some of you clever people might know how to solve the 3 minor issues that are distracting me from otherwise enjoying one of the nicest cars iv ever owned.

1. On warm sunny days (not very often i know) if i park the car in the sunshine and leave it there when i come back and try to start the car nothing happen the lights on dash all go on and off as they should and i get the same clicks etc but it will not start. Now the weird bit is i leave the car for 15 mins and then try again it starts perfectly. (weird)

2. This one started yesterday i started the car with no problems and then went for a drive. I noticed that for some reason when the engine gets to just over 2k revs it is now hitting a minor flat spot the acceleration stops but holds steady and then all of a sudden starts getting faster as it should, this is happening in all gears but with the clutch in the car revs as it should with no problems. (weird)

3. Minor one i know but still bugging me, when i bought the car there was no stereo fitted so i fitted the one i had bought for my old car. Now if i stall or turn the engine off before i turn the stereo off the stereo loses all the information like date, time, audio preferences i have set it up with. But if i turn the stereo off first then the engine it remembers all my settings perfectly (weird)

Really hope someone out there can help me with these problems and that they wont cost me the earth to fix as i really want to keep this car for a very long time as it drives like nothing else i have ever driven

Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

First, sounds like you are not in the US, I'm going to try to help with what I know about the US models....should be about the same.

1. Sounds like the main replay, classic description. When you get in the car, turn the key to ON - Pos II. Does the CEL come on for a few seconds and then go off.

2. Assume there are no stored codes in the ECU....also guessing this only happens once the car warms up. Check clean the erg valve and the ports. Now the problem I have is on a non-US model, not sure how to help you with this. Check the DIY section for a how to (again it will be for a US model), see if it helps. In the DIY section there is a place to get a manual, you can download one for a UK model...I think. EDIT: I only say this because recently had a guy from "down uder", he didn't have an egr at all? Had to send me pic's before I believed him.

3. Sorry, got a few guesses but that is about it. You might post this in the audio/visual section and see if some of the members in there might be able to help?

Last edited by poorman212; 05-08-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Default Update

Hi sorry for the delay in replying but iv been trying the suggestions out.

1. I have had the main relay removed and re soldered which seemed to have solved the problem for 3 days but then again it was an intermittent issue anyways, Now though the car is also failing to start when it is cold or on a night time.
I have checked the dash board and there are no warning lights on it that are not normally there when starting so no CEL.
The car failed to start again on me last night after parking up after a 20 minute drive at 60mph, When i parked it up i tried restarting it straight away and it was okay, left it for 40 minutes while i waited for my friend to finish work as i was his lift home.
Tried to start it after the 40 mins and nothing same as normal light wise and the car wouldnt start, After getting frustrated and worried that i would be stuck where i was i thought id try bump starting it as i was on a hill and this worked it bumped first time with no effort at all.

Also it is after testing sometimes taking 20 mins waiting or 40 or 60 or 120 it varies as to how long i have to wait to get it to restart.

HEEELLLLLLLLLLP please as its now at the stage i dont want to drive it because i get stuck places.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

So when you turn the key to on the CEL comes on and goes off, correct?

When you go to start, is the starter not turning over? Sounds like it because you get it going by "bump" starting it. So if the starter is not spinning, inspect the cables (both ends of both cables). Have the battery tested, might want to get the starter tested as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Hi yeah thats correct it comes on and then straight back off again.

When i turn the key all i get is a whiring noise from the rear left (fuel pump i think) and the click from the dashboard nothing else the car doesnt try to start over im starting to think it might have something to do with the ignition???? but then i cant figure out why that would be intermittent and would then solve itself after a random amount of minutes left alone.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Don't take this wrong way but lets not over think this.

A starter is an electrical motor, so yes, hot it is going to need more to get it spining. Also the solenoid could have bad contacts. Easy check, have a test light or volt meter. Next time it does this, check for voltage at both wires on the starter - big wire is from battery, small one is from the key - yes going to need a friend to turn the key while you are testing...at least then you can rule out the key switch.