General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord EX V6 Malfunction Indicator Light On

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 99 Accord EX V6 Malfunction Indicator Light On

I know there have been numerous posts regarding EGR related problems, however, I wanted to quickly post my car's problem....and resolution. I wanted to include the symptom in the title that I personally had that led me to the EGR intake port issue.

My 99 Accord EX V6 has about 183k miles on it now and I have completed most of the routine maintenance and minor repairs items myself over the years through investigations from this site and other sources (youtube, etc.).

I have lived with the Malfunction Indicator Lamp/Light being on for some time now, but in my case the car seemed to run OK during this entire time. So, only out of annoyance to me did I recently spend some time researching why this may be on and how to correct the issue. I found that the EGR port being clogged up with carbon build-up is a common problem for this engine. In addition to this light being on, my Maintenance Required Indicator Lamp/Light always remained on and even after resetting it - it always came back on.

1.) Took the car in to Advanced Auto and had the code ran for free. It was the P0401 code that came up - EGR Flow Insufficient/Low.

2.) Investigated this site for EGR issues on my car - found and printed off the Honda Technical Service Bulletin and read through this to understand the Honda recommended fix. This was in the DIY area. (Wish I would have read this sooner because this was something at one point the Dealership would have likely fixed for free)

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/A99-085.pdf

2.) I also searched youtube and then referenced a youtube video posted by "Ericthecarguy". I have referenced and subscribed to his youtube posts because he seems to work specifically on Honda vehicles a lot. The post below is actually on a 99 Acura TL, but the engine is set-up almost identically to my Accord's.

Welcome to ETCG! - Eric The Car Guy- Stay Dirty!

3.) I completed the service this past weekend. The only difference between what I did and what Honda recommended, was that I did not replace the EGR valve itself or the gaskets they recommended replacing w/new ones. I also did not invest in the Honda EGR kit that included the drill bit to open the port up larger in order to insert the kit's tube. I simply cleaned the intake out really well. It was completely clogged with black carbon material build-up on the intake side - wow. Working up to a 1/4" drill bit I just slowly removed the material and in between drill bits, I would spray with carb-throttle body cleaner. Using the drill bit really helped because it brought a lot of the build up out when backing the bit out. I threaded the drill bit in/out just by hand and did not use it in a drill.

Just a note if referencing the youtube video - I did not have to mess with the air cleaner box or loosen the Throttle Body clamp/collar. Once I removed the 4 bolts holding the Throttle Body to the Intake, I was then able to pull up on the Intake and slide the Intake to the left (pass side). This seemed to save me some time...

FYI - While completing this I did what ericthecarguy recommended and cleaned the Throttle Body Open/Close Valve with CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner - NOTE: Should have just used the same Carb-Throttle Body cleaner instead.

Next - After Repair/Service is complete...

4.) In order to reset the code, I unhooked the negative side of the battery for about 15-20 seconds. (Keep in mind - you will need to know your car's radio code, as this will need to be reset....there are plenty of posts on this in the forum - mine is right in the glove box, which makes it easy)

5.) Started the car up - Success! - The Malfunction Indicator Lamp/Light was no longer on. I was then able to successfully reset the Maintenance Required Lamp/Light also and this time it stayed off! So far, so good - It has not come back on.

I will be interested to know how my car's MPG changes (if at all) now that this has been completed.

Anyhow....hope this post helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by Homestead'er; 11-19-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Some of your description may be confusing to readers. U.S model Accords for your year don't have a Mass Air Flow sensor. It has a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure), which is different.

It sounds like you're actually referring to the intake tube and air box instead of Mass Air Flow. Generally, CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner is for cleaning a MAF sensor, which your car doesn't have.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes - Sorry about causing confusion. As Red Bull states - I actually was referring to also cleaning the Throttle Body Open/Close Valve, as it was pretty dirty. I did use the CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner for this - hopefully it will not screw anything up?

I have went back and edited the first post accordingly.

Thx
-Nick