General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 EX V6 With Intermittent Starting Issues ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM
reelsmith.
Unregistered
Default '99 EX V6 With Intermittent Starting Issues ....

Hey folks.

I have a 99' EX V6 Accord with an auto-trans that intermittently won't start. It will crank like it has plenty of battery and gas, but it won't start. Until today this has always occurred after the car has been running awhile, then stopped ...although the length of time stopped (ten minutes or a couple hours) does not seem to matter. This has been going on for a few months, so I don't think temperature is an issue either as it has happened in cold, warm and hot weather.

The car is a daily driver and the issue comes up two or three times a week. Today it would not start after sitting for about 6 hours. This was the longest it ever sat and then did not start. It always starts in the morning on the first try. When the issue occurs the car has never left us stranded and always eventually starts, but sometimes it needs to sit for ten or fifteen minutes.

We recently had the ignition switch and harness replaced by a shop that thought that was the issue and while the problem went away for a month, now it is back.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend an only somewhat mechanically inclined Accord owner.

Last edited by reelsmith.; 06-30-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

You need to determine if the problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel.

If you have a timing light, hook it up to one of the spark plug wires. Try to start the car. If the light doesn't flash, then you have no spark. If it flashes, then spark is probably adequate.

Fuel is a bit tougher to diagnose. When you turn the key to the II position, you typically hear several clicks. During that time, the fuel pump gets power for two seconds. Listen carefully for the fuel pump. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM
reelsmith.
Unregistered

Thank you for your suggestions.

The biggest impediment so far has been that the car has never failed to start for me or for my mechanic (he had it for 3 days and I drive the car a bit on weekends). It's my daughters car.

Thanks again.