General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord erratic idle, brakes to floor, intermittent starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Default 93 Accord erratic idle, brakes to floor, intermittent starting issues

I have a 93 accord that's giving me some recent problems. First, I had erratic idle problems but it only happens like once a month and only right when the car is first started like in the morning or after work. It would rise about 1000 rpm then drop suddenly, then rise, then drop. Hasn't happened for a while so I didn't worry about it. The newest trick my car has learned is to quickly die right after it's started. It only does this once in a while, maybe once a week and usually only after I've driven it a good distance then shut it off and try to start it again within minutes. If I wait a few minutes it will start. I also noticed poor braking around the same time this happened. Normally the brakes work well and as expected, but after driving on the highway with the AC on, they go to the floor... They still work, they just depress all the way. I can't help but think all of these things are connected. Any clues? I'm leaning toward vacuum leak somewhere. Any other suggestions? I have a new fuel pump and brake master sitting in my trunk but I don't want to replace things if they aren't broken. Thanks

Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check Engine Light On? If yes, get the codes. See DIY section for guidance.

When no-start occurs try following checks:

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the Check Engine Light (CEL), Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

For the brakes...
1) When you first jab the brake pedal, is it solid?
2) When you sit (for example a red-light) for a bit, does the pedal sink slowly & smoothly to the floor?

If both of those are "YES" then it's classic description of a bad master cylinder.