General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Problem? Erratic Starting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Ignition Switch Problem? Erratic Starting.

I've got a '91 Accord EX with 160K on it. The car runs great but I've had my share of typical Honda issues: VSS, ATCU (Flashing "S" Light), new distributor, A/C compressors, fans, exhaust, etc. Yesterday, after driving the car the day before without issues, it would only run while I held the key in the "start" position. It started right up but would die as soon as I released the key. I checked for loose wires, looked at all the fuses, etc. and tried it again....it started right up and ran fine. I thought maybe I wiggled something without knowing it and I drove it a couple of miles to my warehouse and did some work on the body for 2 hours (roof rust around the windshield and rear window). When I tried to start it...nothing. Yes, it turned over just fine but no ignition at all. I tried it a few times then my buddy jumped out and opened the hood. I tried it one more time before I joined him and it started up and ran fine. We drove home. What the heck could cause such erratic behavior? Ignition switch was my first thought but how can I be sure? Anything else come to mind? Thanks for your help.
Dan

Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ignition Switch Problem? Erratic Starting.

Your description is CLASSIC failing ignition switch, you can remove the steering column shroud [screws underneath] and look at the solder joints on the back of the switch.
'Frosty' looking or melted solder joints will confirm the problem.
Also there will be loss of power on the Black/yellow wire at the dist. plug

Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Is it possible this is a warrantable item from Honda? I've read a few articles about a Honda recall of 2,000,000 vehicles for ignition switch problems...mostly from 1997 on. The part (electrical only) seems to be about $70.
Thanks,
Dan

Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I doubt Honda would do any type of warranty/goodwill work on it. Ignition switches for my 99 are around $25, I think you could find one for yours at the same price.