General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Still Doing "Fair"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned
Default K&N Still Doing "Fair"

I "think" the 3.0 is still liking the K&N filter okay, but seems like after a little more driving in this city heat than the car approves of, even with the K&N, it tends to want to bog down a little, have a little less power. I don't get that, and never will, but that is oh-so typical of Honda V-6's. I'll keep the K&N on a little longer, see how it does in cooler weather this fall, but if the car keeps getting sloppy after driving it a while, I may as well put the stock back on, which I did keep.

No need recommending all this extravagent stuff I could add to the car because unlike the wealthy guys here, I have to watch my budget, pay for medical stuff and live like others in this sinking like a rock economy. For those who can afford that stuff, glad you had a rich uncle!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM

heat soak robs horsepower on any engine

p.s. you have a hybrid right? not much you can do to those. if you wanted performance, should have went fully gas powered

Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Heh heh, I DID go fully gas powered. The old car was a hybrid. I'd vote for the heat. It's only been 105 degrees for the past 4 months straight. I went back out later and it did better. Just too hot to run right. All of 'em are that way now.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Heck yeah been 105-110 here in Dallas Texas.

Some wicked stuff. Do it big here in Texas right? Lol

Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 AM

You have a drop in filter though, heat soak shouldn't affect it any worse than it would on the stock filter really. If you had an SRI I'd go with heat soak, but I don't think that's your problem.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 PM

When you think your car is not doing well with the K&N just keep repeating the K&N hype from their website and before you know it all will be well.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM

My car doesn't perform quite as well in real hot weather like we're having right now simply because the hotter the engine is the less well it performs. If the coolest air it has to take in is 105 it's not going to do as well as if it were taking in 60 degree air. Even when you account for the speed at which it's coming in through the intake, you have to think the engine is sitting and baking in that heat. It's logical that you'll have some bogging down simply because you're currently living in an oven Wait til you see some cooler weather before you start blaming any part of your intake system.

Another thing you have to account for is the fact it could all be mental. Sometimes when I'm worried about one part or another in my car I'll start seeing symptoms of it just because I'm looking for them. The human mind is a powerful thing and can easily override your senses.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM

When you feel like your car is bogging down when does it happen? Is it after you've been driving for a couple hours, right after you start, after it's been driven hard?

It could be a fuel pump issue or possibly clogged catalytic converters. Just two things I got from a buddy while I was talking to him on Facebook just now

You could take it to a shop you trust and have a chat with your mechanic. If it's an honest shop they shouldn't charge you for a consultation or anything unless they're horribly busy.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

I think it's just the hot weather, Peli, like you said. It really isn't bogging, but just seems to take a little more gas pedal pressure to get the same speed after it's driven for so long in this stifling heat. If we ever get below 100, it should hang in better.
Thanks for those suggestions though. I can have them check that stuff too.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Yeah I'd bet the farm it's just the heat that's giving you a bit less oomph.