General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9th Generation Accord with Direct Injection (DI) Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Default 9th Generation Accord with Direct Injection (DI) Engine

Hi Folks... I was wondering if any forum members have experienced other engine issues with the 9th generation direct injection engine. I am considering buying a used 2014 Accord with the 2.4 liter engine next year and I would like feedback on this. -- Part of the reason for this post is that Consumer Reports mentioned in their Feb. 2015 issue that "over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup." The magazine mentioned that other manufacturers (BMW, Kia) have put out technical service bulletins regarding their DI engines implying that many of these newer engine are more problematic than non-DI engines. Just wondering if this magazine is exaggerating the situation or not. - Thanks

Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

I moved this to a new thread as your question didn't seem to fit at the end of the thread it was in.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Default Can an Atkinson engine be direct-injected?

As in the heading, can an Atkinson-Cycle engine be direct injected, or by design is DI ruled out? More specifically, is the engine in the 2017 Accord Hybrid direct-injected? I see a looming monster of an issue across the industry regarding DI engines, i.e. intake valve deposit build-up. Sure, it can be negated to some extent, but not completely. So, seriously considering the purchase of the Accord Hybrid, non-DI being one of the primary factors.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:08 PM

No response at all? YES, DI engines are problematic regarding deposit buildup on the intake valves. Just ask Audi/VW, as they seem to be having the worst struggle. A "Catch Can" may be a possible solution to slowing down the deposits, but it is going to happen nevertheless. I would predict that turbo engines will suffer the most, with higher pressures resulting in increased crankcase gases through the PCV system, the primary source of these deposits. The only real solution will be periodic cleaning of the intake valves, typically with a walnut-shell blaster. However, if one has an engine with the intake manifold located to the rear (firewall) side, then pulling the head will be necessary.

Last edited by jemanner; 07-18-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 PM

any more word on this?
I see you bought it, did you get the answer you wanted or are you just risking it?

Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by veggieluva
any more word on this?
I see you bought it, did you get the answer you wanted or are you just risking it?
We were assured the engine in the Accord Hybrid was port injected, and a quick inspection prior to signing on the dotted line confirmed they were correct. Possibly direct injection is not compatible with (simulated) Atkinson-Cycle engines? Don't know what 2018 holds in store, as the hybrid production is being shifted from Japan back to Ohio, with some redesigning planned. One big plus for some, the trunk will be larger, and the back seat will fold down. The battery is being shifted to under the back seat. Trivia, the 2018 Accord has more interior room due the shortening of the engine compartment, since no V-6 will be offered. Gone are the days when we could practically stand in the engine bay. Squeeze it in there!

Last edited by jemanner; 07-29-2017 at 12:00 AM.