General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to give up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Default About to give up!

1990 Accord EX 2.2- When I turn the wheel all-the-way left or right the brake pedal goes to the floor and I losse braking ability. I do not have ABS. I have replaced the master, the wheel bearings, the rear cylinders, checked for leaks, and bled the system 3 times. What the &#@$% is going on. I am sure I am missing something stupid! Please help.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: About to give up!

I had a report of similar problem on another forum I monitor. It turned out to be soft spots in the flexible jumper from hard brake line to caliper on front end. Owner suspected that grease from a bad CV joint caused rubber in hose to soften. When you turn the wheels, you stress the flexible jumpers, and the small soft spots may enlarge allowing loss of brake pressure to occur. Look closely for evidence of soft spots or leaks on the rubber hoses.

good luck

Old 06-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Check them carefully, & remember they're all the same age. So if you find something it's not a bad idea to replace all 4. If the hoses are weak, it's not long before they're leaking.

One part of the hose ballooning out but not leaking, you don't see that unless someone steps on the brake while you're down there watching.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:39 PM

I will take a look at the them thanks. Any chance it may be an issue with the booster? I drove the car around the church lot today and had COMPLETE failure of the brakes. The pedal went straight to the floor and with no pressure at the calipers. When I straightened the wheel and pumped the pedal my brakes were back. The local mechanic told me good luck. If it wasn't for this forum my Accord would be at the bottom of a river!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A faulty vacuum booster will not make the brakes go to the floorboard. This requires a leak, loss of pressure around master cylinder piston, or a bulging jumper hose.

good luck

Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Also... The vacuum booster doesn't know what's going on with the steering. The rubber hoses at the calipers are about the only thing that gets directly influenced by turning the steering.