General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Code 44 Wheel Sensor Rear Right - '94 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default ABS Code 44 Wheel Sensor Rear Right - '94 Accord

First off, big thanks to TexasHonda for helping me read my ABS code. I am getting code 4 4 (Wheel sensor Rear right) from my ABS light. Does anyone know what this means and what the fix is?

When i bought the car, I noticed the right rear brake disc accumulating rust so it doesnt seem like the pad is applying pressure. i replaced the brake fluid and bled all four brakes but it only seemed to help alittle.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

If the pad isn't applying pressure, that's separate from the ABS sensor. You can remove the caliper, take out the brake pads, & clean everything up.

Clean & lubricate the caliper slide pins, with silicone brake grease.

Clean the brake pads, make sure they fit nice, and they don't wedge tightly stuck in the caliper bracket. Maybe a little grease where they fit into the bracket. NO GREASE on the friction surface (you probably already know that).

There's only one electrical wire back at the brake caliper, and it's the ABS sensor. Look for cut/torn wires? Look for dirty/loose/corroded plugs? You might have to go underneath the trunk carpeting to find the first electrical plug.

If you remove the brake rotor you can probably see the sensor - it's magnetic & reads a toothed ring that spins with the wheel. Clean it up if it's got a bunch of metal shavings stuck to it.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I tried cleaning and greasing the calipers several months ago when i changed the pads, but the sliding pin still wasnt functioning too well. it definitely got a little better, but not perfect. i also have a bad master cylinder that i will be replacing within the next couple weeks so maybe that will help.

i'm going to try cleaning the sensor this weekend and see if that addresses the ABS light. thanks for the help.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Pull wheel sensor and clean w/ solvent. Also stuff rag into wheel sensor hole, and turn wheel to clean tone ring. Dirt on tone ring can also cause problems.

good luck

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i'll give it a shot this weekend. thanks again.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

While there you could also measure the resistance of the sensor? Follow the wire back from the sensor at the wheel. There is an orange (I think) connector almost at the center of the car......test the resistance of the wires going to the wheel sensor.