General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Tone ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Default ABS Tone ring

Hi all,
New to this site, just getting into the whole forum thing, so excuse me if I make newb mistakes in syntax and ettiquette. I apologize in advance for my lack of brevity...
I replaced the drivers side ABS sensor that failed at about 220,000 miles. The OEM sensor would not come out of the hole in the steering knuckle and I had to drill it out. When drilling it out some of the old sensor shavings fell down into the knuckle. I couldn't really get anything down in the hole to grab any pieces, so I used a shop vac and got some out. The rest of the pieces I could see but not vacuum out were removed with a cotton swab with some grease on the end, being careful to only touch the grease to the debris in the hole. The ABS light was out for about half an hour after that, then came back on. I removed the sensor and there was another piece of debris in the hole. I've done this three or four times. Now the light is intermittent, but I see no debris in the hole. I suspect there is debris stuck in the ABS tone ring. So assuming my diagnosis is correct, my question is: Is there any way to clean the tone ring on the axle without removing it from the knuckle?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Honda no longer used the ABS tone ring (pulser) on the axle like previous generation Accords. Some axles won’t even have it. The magnetic encoder is incorporated into the wheel bearing. The ABS system uses sensors to pick up a signal from the magnetic encoder on the wheel bearing. Even if the axle has an ABS tone ring on it, it may not serve any functional purpose

Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM

I guess my diagnosis was wrong, eh? Any ideas on my issue then? I have confirmed all sensors are working. The local Honda dealer wants a king's ransom to hook it up.