General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC not cooling -is the fan suppose to remain on after car is off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM

Hello,

I haven't taken my car to the a/c shop yet on account I've been observing my car's a/c cooling performance.

Please let me re-state the problem that bought me here. Simply put lately my car seems to cool fine when moving but when at idle or stopped such as a light I notice a considerable drop in cooling efficiency. The air temperature coming from the vents is little better then ambient. When the car moves the a/c begins to cool again though not as strong as before. The best the a/c performs is in the morning.

This is somewhat similar to what I experienced before I replaced my leaking radiator and had to check the coolant regularly. Because of this I thought the problem may be with the cooling system even though the radiator, both cooling fans and thermostat (Honda) had been replaced.

I have checked the radiator before including today and found it with coolant, but today I checked the overflow tank and found it about 3/ 4 full. I filled it to the top and afterwards the a'c cooling much improved during driving and at idle. I didn't have a chance to check whether the overflow tank is leaking.

How is this overflow tank suppose to work?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

This link has info. regarding the cooling system. Read also the part regarding the radiator cap, reservoir, etc.

Honda Cooling Systems - Honda Tuning Magazine

Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm not a mechanic. I believe my issue may be air in the cooling system. I fussed around with it but I got something wrong. I wondering if any one with experience with the cooling system or any advise can comment.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bjr001
Hello,

How is this overflow tank suppose to work?
Originally Posted by redbull-1
This link has info. regarding the cooling system. Read also the part regarding the radiator cap, reservoir, etc.

Honda Cooling Systems - Honda Tuning Magazine
Originally Posted by bjr001
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm not a mechanic. I believe my issue may be air in the cooling system. I fussed around with it but I got something wrong. I wondering if any one with experience with the cooling system or any advise can comment.
The link was to help explain how the overflow/reservoir worked.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM

After bleeding the cooling system and not seeing any improvements in my a/c cooling I finally took my car to an a/c specialty shop recommended by my mechanic. My mechanic doesn't work on a/c's. Keeping in mind my car has never overheated after the radiator was replaced always hoping it was just air in the system or a heater valve.

After the shop put on the gauges he said it was a little low on gas. He put some in but there was no difference. He came back telling me the dryer and the expansion valve were bad. He quoted me $285.00 complete for the job.

I had my ac system repaired 2 years ago including compressor, dryer and expansion valve. At that time I noticed my a/c didn't cool as well I would think, but I attributed to my radiator that began leaking not long after that. I don't know if that had anything to do with dryer and expansion valve going out so soon or just fate or a bad a/c shop.

I'll be taking the car in on Monday. Thanks for everyone's help.